Selling Renault Laguna

Ned_ie

I'm thinking of selling my Renault Laguna but am not sure what price to ask for it. I want to sell prvately as it will work out better (I think) than going for a trade in. The car is an 04 with 20k miles on the clock It has the half leather interior and sunroof and rear park assist.

On a trade garages are only giving me €16,500. Any ideas?

if trade is 16k then take off approx 1500 for private sale.put it in buy and sell/donedeal.ie for 14,500 or 15k

SO i will actually make less than what the garage is giving me on a trade in?

Hi Ned
I had a 01 Laguna super sport 1.8 with all the bells and whistles and to be honest I lost a fortune on the car.It was a lovely car to drive etc but the after sales value was a major shock to the system.It has put me off driving Renault again even if they are a nice well equipped car.To be honest I would bite the bullet and take the trade in and look upon it as a lesson learned.

D

Bugger!

I knew it was going to be sore but not that bad!!!

Have definately learned my lesson - won't be going near Renault again

You'd be better off Getting locked into a good second hand 3 series. Hold their value well.

all cars depreciate. you will always lose money when buying selling cars.
the BMW will lose less, yes, but you also have to pay more for it in the first place, or pay less and get an older model.

The reason you appear to get better on a trade in is because you will be buying your new car from the garage at a higher price than what you would pay if you had cash. This is done so you think you're getting a good deal!

carzone.ie has 04 lagunas from €16,750 for a 1.6 with 36k on the clock all the way up to €24,995 for a 1.9 diesel with 29k on the clock. The price you ask for will depend on the spec and engine.

If you sell it privately for the €16,500 the garages are offering then you'll still work out better as now you can get a discount for having no trade in.

Have you tried a dealer from down the country or one who isn't tied to the same franchise group to see how you fare?

Have tried quite a few garages to see what they will give me. What about just selling to teh trade as opposed to selling privastely - is that something to consider?

you will never get a good price just selling to the trade. It would have to be a car they know they can sell on immediately at a good profit.

Ned_ie said:
Bugger!

I knew it was going to be sore but not that bad!!!

Have definately learned my lesson - won't be going near Renault again

Ned, I once had a Laguna Super Sport which depreciated alot but the fact is most cars depreciate between 35 and 50 % in the first 3 years (yes, that much!), after that it goes down to about 10% or less a year. So the key is to hang on to your car for 4 or 5 years and get some value out of it.
As for never going near renault again.. Audi A4's, passats all mid size saloons etc etc all depreciate the same, dont be fooled, some just initially cost more than others. As for the post about the BMW, they are way overpriced to start with, come with very little standard equipment and they cost more to Insure.
So, IMHO, unless your moving onto a more prestigious car, hang on to it or be prepared to take the hit!

Why the rush? In 6 months your car will still be an 04 one, Dealers know that they will be busy in Jan/Feb for the new sales, so they offer you as little as they can get away with.

If there is nothing wrong with it, sell it at your own convenience and then haggle for a cash price on a demo model of the car of your choice?

I changed to a Laguna last year after years of Peugeot driving. I have to say that even though the Laguna has all the goodies and is comfortable, it seems underpowered and lacking in driver feel...... any offers?

Back