Selling products on website

NeedingHelp

Hi there
Wonder if anyone can help! I am about to sell some products from my website. I do not have a shopping cart facility but I will put pictures of the products up and ask people to pay by paypal or cheque. Is this feasible? Also, as my business is primarily involved in service, and the online shop is just a new feature, what do I do about VAT? Do I have to charge VAT on the items and how does it work? I do not have a VAT number although I am registered as a Sole Trader, a business and with revenue.When I order from my supplier, as I have no VAT number, they just charge me VAT on top. If I need to charge VAT what happens then?
Would be grateful for any help!!!!!

As an easy entry to online selling, I would have a look at ebay. Initially auctions & then an online store.
They do charge a relatively high margin I believe & there are lots of stories of fraud, but you would be tapping into a large market.

In addition, I believe there are plenty of online baskets/ready made store solutions out there. Google should be able to help.

Thanks Tiger. If you know anything about the VAT thing, that would be great. Meanwhile I am off to search the archives!

as far as im aware you are suppossed to charge vat and hence you will need to register for vat..im not sure what you are selling so am unaware of the level of vat you will need to charge

I was speaking to you about stuff recently and this is an answer to a question I needed to ask too!:D

Surely charging vat has nothing got to do with trading on-line.
If you are not registered, its Im sure because you are under the turnover requirement limit specified by revenue, and you can proceed without charging if thats the case?

That's why I am confused. I thought I didn't have to register for VAT once my turnover was likely to be under a certain amount. Then someone mentioned that I should register anyway and that I should be charging customer VAT. Anyway, I will research a bit more now! Thanks

Registering for VAT is optional. It's mandatory if the turnover from the goods/services being sold exceeds certain limits. Since you are not registered for VAT, then you don't charge VAT to your customers for your service(s).

NeedingHelp said:
That's why I am confused. I thought I didn't have to register for VAT once my turnover was likely to be under a certain amount. Then someone mentioned that I should register anyway and that I should be charging customer VAT. Anyway, I will research a bit more now! Thanks

Thats what I thought too until i spoke to my accountant the other day. From what both of us can see it depends on where you source your products from. If you source them from within the EU i think you are fine as far as vat is concerned. If u source outside the EU you are suppossed to give the supplier your VAT number whereby they dont charge you VAT, however you must then charge customers VAT at the point of sale.

Maybe some one can clarify this.

If the turnover from your goods/services is under the limits as specified by the revenue, you definitely don't have to register for VAT regardless of where in the world you purchase the goods/services.

Back