Selling my home - Negotiation with Estate Agent on fee

Redshoes

Hello, I've read that estate agents often charge from 1% to 4% of the sale price of a home,commission. What should my negotiating strategy be with the estate agent? I want to get the lowest percent possible but at the same time I feel a good estate agent will help me sell my place and she deserves to be paid for the sale. I plan to sell my apartment which is in the higher price bracket in Dublin, great location, close to the city centre, great neighbourhood, ideal for downsizing, easy commute, good schools etc.......so I don't imagine it will be a difficult sale.

If you know your price, know it's easy to sell, will sell quickly and can get on with people then why not put up a sign yourself and see what happens?

I agree, have a go yourself, you will do a better ad and showings than most agents, you have nothing to lose and quite a big to gain.....and it's not difficult, I've done it twice.

Hello, I've read that estate agents often charge from 1% to 4% of the sale price of a home,commission. What should my negotiating strategy be with the estate agent? I want to get the lowest percent possible but at the same time I feel a good estate agent will help me sell my place and she deserves to be paid for the sale. I plan to sell my apartment which is in the higher price bracket in Dublin, great location, close to the city centre, great neighbourhood, ideal for downsizing, easy commute, good schools etc.......so I don't imagine it will be a difficult sale.

fees in Dublin are normally 1.25 to 1.75 percent

I wouldn't even view if an EA wasn't involved.

It would signal to me that the vendor wasn't serious.

How do you make that out? Do you think they're just showing it to get a valuation without actually wanting to sell it? To me it would just indicate they either don't trust an agent to do as good a job as they can do themselves and/or they want to save themselves the fee.

I'm not saying people don't do it, it just wouldn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it be easier to search for comparables in the area and/or hire a valuer? Unless the property is rural and hard to value, it should be possible.

That said, I did recently hear someone offhandedly suggest putting an ad up to get a valuation but when I suggested getting a local EA to value it, the response was "oh yeah, that's probably better". Seems like more hassle than it's worth to field a load of inquiries and viewings than pay an EA to value it for you. They might even do it for free for the potential business, as that's what happened in the case I just mentioned.

Back