selling in budapest

Shay O Toole

I have an apartment in Budapest which I want to sell.Can anyone point me in the right direction and what are the pitfalls to watch for.

I suggest you take a few days in Budapest and check out the local market. Find out the market value for your place and who is selling. Then do a local deal with an estate agent.

won't you sell to an Irish person? Everybody seems to be looking for property in Budapest. At least they will know as little as you about the pitfalls and market conditions :)

I dont mean pitfalls as such,probably worded wrong.Basically the flat is vacant and is being managed by a company in Budapest for the past year.Once I refused to pay 5k to them to furnish the apartment they basically didnt bother their backside to let it.I dont want to go elsewhere because I could find myself in the same boat next year.
What I want to know is if anyone has sold property in Budapest,what are the commisions,fees,etc.
I would consider holding onto the apartment but I feel that I am being roasted.I am going over next week to sort out something and basically dont know what is the best road to take in relation to the property.

Duna House are the biggest estate agents over here. (www.dh.hu)
Which district is it in?

You could try putting an ad in PestiEst and sell it yourself.

I'm surprised you couldn't get it easily rented in V. Can you tell me any details about how much you were looking for/size of the place? It should give you a good return, so maybe it's worth reconsidering selling. I'd imagine you'll lose anything you made in charges after just a year of owning it.

PestiEst is a free magazine over here that you can advertise in. It costs a bit. I'm not sure how much though. You could also try budapestsun.com, which is read by a lot of English speaking people in Budapest. They're both available in bars/hotels, etc. here, so if you're over, just keep an eye out for them..

Shay,

Would you mind saying which letting company you received the bad service from?

I thought myself that it should rent easy enough with the location.Its not the Ritz but its allright.I didnt set any rent on it and would have been glad to take 300 a month cover my back.As for naming the management company,I would be slow to do so from a legal point of view,suffice to say they are high profile in Budapest and the first part of their name is the Spanish word for house.
I`ll check out the budapestsun.com&PestiEst.Thanks for the tips budapest.

Sorry budapest,the flat is 47m2 on the ground floor,facing into the courtyard.The building is very tidy and was just refurbished in the last three years.On a scale of 1-5 the flat would rate 3.

Shay,

Sounds like you should be able to rent it for that price.

I am sure that most of us who know Budapest can guess which company you speak of as anyone I know who has used them has had a dreadful experience.

I think you should reconsider selling as you're bound to lose out. The rental market isn't bad here at the minute. Send me a private message with the exact address if you'd like...

budapest,

Thanks for your help and advice.I`m going to go over next week and make up my mind "should I stay or should I go" as the song says.I`ll let you know the week after next whats happening.

Back