Selling ETFs and submitting a Form 11

gonesp

Hi there,

I had a couple of question regarding the sell process of an ETF and declaring the gains.

Should I file a Form 11 every time I sell my ETFs or they are deemed disposal? What about my tax return due before October? Should I put everything there or just file separate Form 11?

Does this all apply to ETFs where I made no profit or made a loss?

Thanks!

You only file one Form 11 per year - the filing date is 31st October or earlier. If you file online, you usually get a few weeks more - for example up to 15th November
Include all ETF information on the Form 11 along with other income, etc

You only report income received (dividends or distributions), gains on disposals (deemed or actual) and purchases made during the tax year

So if I dispose of and ETF say in the month of May for example, and have made a gain, I declare it by October 31st with the form 11, and pay then?

Thanks,

Ix

When you file a Form 11 in 2020, it is for income received in 2019 and the tax due on this. You will pay the balance of any tax due plus a preliminary income tax payment for income tax due on your income in 2020.

So the gains made on a disposal in May 2020 are reported on your 2020 tax submission which is due by October 31st 2021.

However, you have to play preliminary income tax for 2020 by mid November - your payment can be based on your income tax due on your 2019 income or your estimate of what will be due on your 2020 income. Remember, when you pay your preliminary income tax in 2020, the year is not yet finished so your income tax due can not be known with any certainty.

Back