Selling a house without solicitor

Teapot said:
It is done in the UK why not Ireland?

If it is then perhaps because they are different juristictions? Are you referring to their system of conveyancing brokerages (?) or something like that? I thought that that system never really took off and most people still use solicitors for conveyancing?

I think that your purchaser would find it very difficult to get a solicitor to act for them. Too much potential for error. If you want to save money think about selling without an estate agent; its a bigger saving and less risk. A solicitor could help you out with this by holding the booking deposit and advising you about not getting into a binding agreement before contracts are exchanged. Probate and conveyancing are not the same - in probate you are dealing with public servants who are trained to guide you through the process. Doing your own conveyancing is also a big personal risk, you take personal responsiblity for any errors and if it goes pear shaped you could find yourself being sued. Thats why solicitors have lots of insurance.

Thanks for all the replies, this turned into a very interesting thread! Theres a lot more to it than I thought so I'm getting a solicitor.

SarahMc said:
Thanks for all the replies, this turned into a very interesting thread! Theres a lot more to it than I thought so I'm getting a solicitor.

Glad to see you've seen sense LOL God above, what will this country be looking for next, a fully stocked shop with not a sinner in sight, just head on in and pick up yer requirements and leave the money at the door on the way out :confused: Or better still, pick up your requirements and don't pay a bean ;) Only for there is a need for solicitors, why would they be here ;)

Back