Selling a Car Privately

horusd

As I'm moving abroad, I want to sell my car privately. I got a quote from usedcarbuyer.ie which was quite/very low IMO. I'm somewhat reluctant to list it on a car sellers website as I'm concerned that someone would (naturally enough) want to test drive it yet not have Comprehensive cover to do this. Anyone aware of alternatives?

Not knowing anything about your car doesn't help in giving you advice. In any case, people are going to want a test drive.

Best scenario would be to sell it to a family member/friend/friend of friend/ex colleague.

You'd have to give them a few quid off but it would save you the hardship of dealing with random people and/or convincing a garage to sell it for you.

They may be happy enough to buy without the test drive as they will be buying it on trust and personal connection.

Try done deal. I sold a car for €22k a couple of months ago. It was up for less than a week.

For anyone looking to test drive just inform them that you will have to see their insurance to confirm that they can drive other cars

Thanks guys, I'll look into various options. It needs to go thru the NCT next week. This has already cost me 400 for tyres etc. I certainly wont be giving away a car worth around 16K to anyone. Done deal might be an option, but I'm concerned they might damage MY car, not just that they have cover for other road users.

Depending on where you work and park the car, you could put a "For Sale" sign on it with your phone No. I see a lot of people doing this. As for giving the car away? People probably assumed it was a bit of a banger because you gave us no information about it.

Depending on where you work and park the car, you could put a "For Sale" sign on it with your phone No. I see a lot of people doing this. As for giving the car away? People probably assumed it was a bit of a banger because you gave us no information about it.
It's a top spec six year old Volvo V40. I didn't mention the car as it was not really relevant. I've seen the " for sale" signs on cars, but I'm not inclined to do it. One poster mentioned a commission sale via a garage, that sounds like a possibility. My main concern is random people driving it without Comprehensive insurance.

My main concern is random people driving it without Comprehensive insurance.
At the end of the day if you can't get over this concern then private selling is not for you.

For what it's worth, I have sold many cars privately over the years without any problem whatsoever, yes there is a risk, but I think it has to be assessed realistically.
Personally, I rate the risk as low.

It's a top spec six year old Volvo V40. I didn't mention the car as it was not really relevant. I've seen the " for sale" signs on cars, but I'm not inclined to do it. One poster mentioned a commission sale via a garage, that sounds like a possibility. My main concern is random people driving it without Comprehensive insurance.

If sold via a garage it would be covered under the garage policy so no need too worry.

However if you find a garage willing too sell on your behalf don't forget too haggle the price of there commission.but if it's a quick sale 5-7 days I'd advise against haggling.

Thanks guys, I'll look into various options. It needs to go thru the NCT next week. This has already cost me 400 for tyres etc. I certainly wont be giving away a car worth around 16K to anyone. Done deal might be an option, but I'm concerned they might damage MY car, not just that they have cover for other road users.
Worth 16 to you but probably 14 to a buyer. You'll have a job to get top dollar selling privately with you being under pressure!

Why not go in the car with them on the test drive? You can always ask to see ID etc., as long as you show them yours it shouldn't be an issue.

In my experience most of your time is wasted with pointless "what colour is the car?" questions.

Back