Sell house with low interest tracker or become landlord?

Chrissy28

I have a house which I am about to move out of as I’m moving to a new house. I’m wondering whether I should keep the house to rent or sell it. I have read a lot of the posts on here about becoming a landlord and it’s not a road I’m eager to go down. However, the house I’m thinking of selling has a very low tracker interest rate of 1.25%. It’s also beside the route of proposed Metro. I have 15 years left on the mortgage with a balance of approx 180k. I could rent the house out for about €1800 per month but would need to invest about €10,000 - €15,000 to get it up to standard as it needs some work. Current mortgage repayments are €1100 per month. I would be paying tax on rental income at the higher rate.
So whilst I don’t particularly want to become a landlord it seems a shame to give up a mortgage with such a low interest rate which I would expect to have paid off in full in 15 years all going well and at which point Metro might be up and running. I know the general consensus on here is to avoid becoming a landlord and I agree but given the circumstances I would appreciate comments. I don’t have other properties other than the two referred to here and I will have a mortgage of about 200 k on the other property.

I hadn’t thought about that - I don’t think my mortgage specifies I have to live there but will have a read of it again, thanks for raising this as a potential issue.

What’s the value of the current property and what does the rest of your income and other debt profile look like?

Thanks for comments, the link above is very useful.
Current value of house is about €295 k so I’d have about €100 k left over if I sell it. Mortgage is with BOI. I’ve no other debts and I’d be relying on rental income to cover one of the mortgages whilst my income will cover the other one.

I’m not ready to draw down mortgage for new property (it’s a self build) for about another 12 months so I thought this would preclude me from transferring the tracker.

If selling the house I’m eager to put it on the market sooner rather than later but BOI have said I have 6 months after selling house to get new mortgage offer with tracker +1% (if the mortgage offer is given more than 6 months after I sell the house then they won’t guarantee to offer me the tracker +1% on new mortgage) and then it seems I have another 6 months to draw down the first stage of mortgage (waiting for the bank to confirm this for sure - wasn’t aware of this when I posted the query) so that should give me about 12 months so I think sell the house and move tracker to new mortgage is probably the best option if I can be sure the timing will work out to allow it.

Back