Self Build extension Where to start (after permission)

cargorm

Hi All
And thanks in advance for any advice given.
I did the plans myself and now have permission to build a small second floor extension over existing extension.
I Have read through the sticky (thank you) and received the pamplet "Information for the purpose of Building controll"
There is a lot there.
Could someone give me an overview or put it in a nutshel in terms of what is the Least and cheapest that I need to do/ people to hire in order to build this thing legally
and have it certified.
I can do all aspects of the building but am not a qualified builder.
Thanks

An engineer to sign off on the construction, a cert from an electrician and from any gas heating installed. If you say you can do all the building work, then off you go.

Ok thanks for that
so as far as you understand an engineer can certify that it was built to reg without the necessity of having a “qualified” builder certify that he built it?
cheers

What's a qualified builder? The electrics and gas have to get signed off by a registered/certified person. Sometimes the work is done by others, but they have to ensure it's done to spec and then sign off on it.

My husband rewired our old house when we bought it first, then got an electrician to come and they walked through all the work, and electrician acknowledged it was safe.

When we did an extension and improvements In the house a registered electrician did the wiring etc and our engineer signed off each part of the build.

What I am trying to say is do the work yourself to the current standard and get a professional to certify it has been done to the current regs. You probably know plumbers and electricians who will take the time to walk through it with you and approve it.

What I am trying to say is do the work yourself to the current standard and get a professional to certify it has been done to the current regs. You probably know plumbers and electricians who will take the time to walk through it with you and approve it.
Note the current electrical regs mean it is now illegal for non-RECI qualified persons to carry out a range of domestic wiring jobs, and no qualified installed will risk their qualification signing-off on such work. Non-qualifies people can still carry out some basic works, but once you get to installing a new circuit or adding devices to the the CU, you must be qualified.

You're going to need an engineer to assess the foundations you intend to build over before starting any work, so probably best engage one who can do that and sign-off on the finished product which might require inspections at key stages.

You're going to need an engineer to assess the foundations you intend to build over before starting any work, so probably best engage one who can do that and sign-off on the finished product which might require inspections at key stages.
Understood - thank you makes sense

Back