Seeking solicitor recommendation for 1-off infill house development

Orko

Hi. First time poster. I am looking for a recommendation for a solicitor working in South County Dublin to help with a one-off but mildly complex (to me) property transaction. Any advice welcome. Details as follows.

My mother owns a small house on a large plot in a sought after location in suburban Dublin. She grew up there, as did I. She inherited it from her parents, lives there alone, and as an only child, I am the sole ultimate beneficiary of the house.

My intention is to realise some of this value in the short term and to use the proceeds to help buy a house elsewhere. The plan is to subdivide the site for development of a single house. Space and access is fine.

My assumption is that it would be beneficial to secure planning permission on the site before selling it, to increase its value. I would also like to be able to put some (minor) restrictive covenants on the sale to limit the ultimate form of whatever is built on the site, in order to protect my mother’s house.

As I see it, there are a number of steps in the process that could be put together any given order. Except for item 5, which has to come last.
1. Get planning permission
2. Place restrictive covenants on development of site
3. Sell site to buyer
4. Transfer money/site from mother to me
5. Buy a house elsewhere, helped by proceeds

I have an architect lined up for item 1, but need a solicitor on board to advise and assist on all remaining items, and to advice on how best to order them to maximise the net return, in light of CGT and/or gift tax obligations.

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received.

Back