Security bolt/lock for patio doors

maryrose

I am trying to locate a security /locking mechanism for double glazed patio doors which performs the same function as a dead lock on ordinary doors.

This will be a secondary lock, and it was described to me as a metal? bolt extending from the stationary part of the doors to the opening part of the sliding side, at waist high level, and this can be locked from within, and when not in use it hangs to the side of the stationary door.

Anybody out there know what I'm talking about?

The locking mechanism we already have is not very secure, and can be forced , allowing the sliding door to be opened a tiny amount.

You can get bolt locks for patio doors but they are not the same as 5 meter deadlocks on halldoors etc. although most insurers accept them for insurance purposes. I have two on mine - one bottom left and one top right fixed to the frame and bolting into the sliding door part (which opens to the right). You just drill a sink hole for the bolt into the door and screw the mechanism into the fixed frame and then push to lock. Taken in conjunction with the standard locking mechanism installed in most patio doors I believe that one or two of these locks fulfills the requirements for insurance purposes. Basically they help secure the door and prevent it from being lifted out of the frame.

This is the Chubb one that I have one one corner...

[broken link removed]

and this is like the generic one that I have on the other...

[broken link removed]

Back