Section 39 to section 38

Suey0309

Hi I have been offered a section 38 post but the pay is starting at point 1 on the scale. Can I bring the pay I am already on from a section 39 to my new post also can I transfer my pension thank you in advance

Hi I have been offered a section 38 post but the pay is starting at point 1 on the scale. Can I bring the pay I am already on from a section 39 to my new post

I doubt that you would have any automatic entitlement to the pay scale point you had in Section 39. Your starting point should be up for discussion, though. I would suggest contacting HR in Section 38 and discuss this, given your relevant experience.

also can I transfer my pension

I take it that the pension scheme in Section 39 is a private scheme, jointly funded by your employer and employeee contributions ? Most likely a Defined Contribution scheme? The Section 38 body has (in all probability) a public sector scheme. As you will be a new entrant this will be the "Single Scheme". If this is so, then you cannot transfer your pension. After you are "vested" in the Single Scheme (2 years, I think) there is a facility to purchase benefits in the Scheme by transferring in previous pension funds. I have no experience of it and it sounds a quite convoluted procedure (Here: https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/DPER-Circular-15-of-2019-Purchase-and-Transfer-of-Retirement-Benefits-under-the-Single-Public-Service-Pension-Scheme.pdf).

In the unlikely event that your existing Section 39 Scheme is a public service scheme the you should be able to retain membership of it in your new Section 38 role (ie, transfer it across). However, the Section 39 scheme is unlikely to be a public service scheme.

Back