'scrap' value of 1996 Seat Ibiza

roney

Hello - any advice on this greatly appreciated.

I was 'given' a gift of a Seat Ibiza that had been stolen and written off and then subsequently recovered. The owner (very well know to me) kindly let me have it for nothing except that I give him the '250 euro scrap value'...
What is this scrap value? Am I being diddled?

btw this was a while back and I have since spent almost 2,000 euro buying new parts for this car and it is still not going !!! annoying i can tell you!
if i was now to sell it for scrap how much of my 2,000 could i hope to get back?
this has been an expensive and frustrating lesson.

many thanks :)

What is this scrap value? Am I being diddled?
The scrap value is how much a salvage yard would be willing to pay for a car/vehicle which has been involved in an accident (and deemed an economic write off - the cost of fixing it is more than the cost of replacing it).

The parts which have not been damaged would/could be used as replacement parts for other cars so have some value. The scrappage value of a car would be entirly dependant on what damage had been done to the car and how much of it may be reusable so nobody can really comment on if it was a fair price or not without seeing the car. With a scrappage value of €250 I'd assume a fair amount of damage had been done.

if i was now to sell it for scrap how much of my 2,000 could i hope to get back?
Again, not nearly enough detail to recieve a meaningful answer to this. The bad news, I'd assume very little! It depends on what work would need to be done to get the car running again. Look at the price of a 1996 Seat Ibiza, then take a huge chunk off it to take into account this would have been a write off.... the chances of you getting over (or even near) €2000 for a car still not running are very (VERY) slim!

Looking at cbg.ie

1996 1.4 Litre 100,000 Dublin 4 €1,500

So getting €2000 back on parts.... very unlikely!

The scrap value is how much a salvage yard would be willing to pay for a car/vehicle which has been involved in an accident (and deemed an economic write off - the cost of fixing it is more than the cost of replacing it).

The parts which have not been damaged would/could be used as replacement parts for other cars so have some value. The scrappage value of a car would be entirly dependant on what damage had been done to the car and how much of it may be reusable so nobody can really comment on if it was a fair price or not without seeing the car. With a scrappage value of €250 I'd assume a fair amount of damage had been done.

Again, not nearly enough detail to recieve a meaningful answer to this. The bad news, I'd assume very little! It depends on what work would need to be done to get the car running again. Look at the price of a 1996 Seat Ibiza, then take a huge chunk off it to take into account this would have been a write off.... the chances of you getting over (or even near) €2000 for a car still not running are very (VERY) slim!

Looking at cbg.ie

1996 1.4 Litre 100,000 Dublin 4 €1,500

So getting €2000 back on parts.... very unlikely!

getting 1500 would be very unlikely as well as I recently had to get car scrapped and got less than I thought for it

I'd imagine it's worth very little - this person who 'gave' it to you presumably also got the insurance to give them the value of the car - hope they are not a friend! Scrap salvalve yards usually give you about 100 euro - often people have to pay to get cars taken away.

It would seem from all the posts that any value that this car has lies in its use to you rather than in monetary terms.

It 'owes' you and it appears you must now decide if its going to be able to pay its way: i.e. can you get it road-legal and driveable or not.

After having spent that amount of money, I can see how sick you would be that its not moving yet. Unless the prognosis was good - in that it needs only a little more work to get going - it could be that you're better off cutting your losses. I would seek some expert opinion if you don't feel qualified to make that decision.

Make sure that cosmetic or non-essential work is not getting in the way of getting the car moving. If it will drive if you put it all together now, then I would definitely do that. A car that's not moving is effectively useless and worth very little. If you can get it running and road-legal, then it becomes much more sellable and at least you have a running car that can be used/sold.

If your consideration is how much you can get for it, I think you're going to make a loss.

Back