Scooter - Advice

Cashman

Hi to All,

Number one Son has decided to buy himself a scooter (50cc) Mrs Cashman & myself have our concerns over safety.....However 22 year olds know best!!

Anyway does anyone have any Idea as to the cost of insurance or what companies would insure these?

Also what are the requirements with regards to driving licences?

Any help / advice most welcome

Thanks

Cashman

Have just disposed of a scooter having driven it for 5 years, accident free. The only place that will insure it is Hibernian or AON (part of Hibernian). Have no idea what the insurance will be for a 22 yo but would hazard a guess at €600+. Best piece of advice I can offer is that you send your son to the motorcycle training course run by Fingal County Council. It runs over 2 weekends, costs approx. €150 if I remember correctly. It is invaluable in my opinion and very focused on road positioning and awareness. Further info

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but when I were a lad of 17, set on my first motorbike (a "Yammy" 80 :D), my old fella rang up my cousin, then an intern in Vincents, and got him to call around to the house late one Saturday night and bring me down to the A&E to see what was being carted in by the ambulances... :eek: (the cousin explained that medics usually refer to bikers as 'donors'!)

Didn't put me off getting a bike, but the memory did flash back into my mind on a couple of occasions where I might have been tempted to act the eejit. Instead I drove a bike accident-free for the next ten years or so, and learned all sorts of vital road sense (rule #1 being to always, always assume that other road users are deranged or wilfully contrary lunatics who will kill you if given the slightest chance...)

90% of fatal motorbike accidents are caused by collision with another (bigger) vehicle, very often through the other driver's fault. But that's not much consolation to the guy/girl on the bike!

Would definitely recommend you get him to do some kind of training course, even if he has car-driving experience. If he takes a bike test and gets a full licence before he insures himself it should (?) make a difference to his premium...

I fully agree with what has been said so far on this topic.

I have been on two wheels for the past 8 years. Started on a moped and progressed to a motorbike after 3 years. As yet I have never had an accident (Touch wood). I put it down to the fact that I was on a bicycle since I was a kid and had 10 driving lessons prior to getting on a motorbike/moped.

Gave the moped to my little brother who never had any road training and he went on to crash it 3 times before giving it up.

Car and motorbikes are extremely dangerous and no-one should be on the road without training!!!

AON is now underwrote by AXA, but AXA will not quote you directly.

As for driver license Q.
He will at least need a prov. lic. with cat. M. If no license yet then the driver theory test will need to be complete before getting the piece of green paper.

I drove moped/bike for about 4 year's.

The one thing I learned was not to take any Passengers... EVER.
And a few lessons will help.

Back