Scientist -would like to pursue a career in Patent Law. How?

L

lingoli

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone can help me. I am currently finishing up a PhD in Biochemistry and I would like to pursue a career in Patent Law. I am wondering how I should go about this. Should I do the conversion course in DIT? Should I join a law firm that does patent law and intellectual property and go from there?

What I really want to know is how much extra study/years/exams will this all take? I have already done the "I have no money" stage of my life and I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again. Is it possible to do this at night? Is this advisable?

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

L

title changed slightly by ajapale

Re: Scientist -would like to pursue a career in Patent Law.

Hi Lingoli, and welcome to AAM!

Ive moved your question here where it might generate a better response than in Absolute Beginners.

ajapale

Just be aware that there is a trend towards EU wide patents ( EU main patents office is located somewhere in Germany ) rather than getting a patent in each EU country ( its cheaper ).

Who knows what the long term future holds for patent lawyers in Ireland

eDog

P.S. The Irish patents office is now based in Kilkenny town. It used to be in Merrion Square and was a delightful place to visit.

If you're in one of the bigger Universities someone will be responsible for intellectual property issues. Maybe they could help you out.

I think it takes ages to fully qualify (a bit like accountancy where you could be working for several years before you pass the final exam).

Have you thought about law in general and maybe combining it with your science training in the medico-legal area. Recent media reports suggests rich pickings in the years to come.

I googled and found the following on the NUI-Galway Careers website. I assume you have spoken to the Careers People in your institution?

Careers Office NUI Galway

Biotech Graduates - Career Opportunity in Patents
F. R. Kelly & Co. is a leading firm of European Patent & Community Trade Mark Attorneys. Established in 1927, we now operate offices in Belfast, Dublin and Alicante in Spain.

Our 80 staff provide intellectual property services to a strong local and international client base. With continued growth in our Northern Ireland business, including biosciences, we now wish to recruit a trainee Patent Attorney. Based in Belfast, this position offers an excellent opportunity to develop a professional career in patent law.

To apply, you must have a primary honours degree, with significant biotechnology content. You will also have the intellectual capacity to readily cope with leading technologies, coupled with strong communication and interpersonal skills. Good computer skills are important and a working knowledge of German or French will be helpful.

Above all, you must be capable of applying a client-focussed approach, working frequently on your own initiative in a variety of business fields. The appointee will be expected to pursue professional studies to qualify as a European atent Attorney and training will be provided. A progressive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.

To pursue this challenging career
opportunity, please send a detailed C.V. (no
later than Friday 03rd December) to:
George Munnelly, Practice Manager, F.R. Kelly
& Co., 4 Mount Charles, Belfast BT7 1NZ.

Job

Jobs in patent companies come up now and again ... they look for science graduates ... you receive on the job training ... keep your eyes on the papers.

Re: Job

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I am meeting with the IP person for college today so I'll see how that goes.

Will keep ye posted.

Re: Job

I applied for a patent attorney job a couple of years ago, responding to an ad in the paper and didn't even get an interview. I have an MSc so perhaps its a bit misleading to suggest they are purely interested in Science grads.

Back