Say I have a claim for 3k on my car insurance can I pay that back to insurer when my premium is renewed?

NOAH

As per the title, a case like described has been quoted to me but it baffled me. I know very little about car insurance but I have got no claims protection in that ina ny period of 1 or two years I can claim and my NCD wont be affected. Is it feasible then that if I did not have NCD and my premium was to increase a lot could I pay back the amount paid out and keep premium as low as possible?

I don't know about one claim but several years ago I had the misfortune after 20 years claims free to have two small claims within six weeks - sickening - but the company said one could be paid back prior to the renewal date and they would only carry forward one claim, keeping 2 years ncb. I duely paid the cheaper of the two a month before the renewal date but when the renewal notice came out it was for 0 ncb as it turned out they had misallocated the money. The premium had increased by 2.5x. This issue was corrected and a quote with a 2 year ncb came out but the decrease was less than €80 year and the accident amount was significantly higher. In the end I got them to refund the accident money as the policy difference was negligible - it did mean I was tied to them for three years but to be honest I’m not sure paying it would have made a material difference as even moving this year the premium is still quite high.

Last edited:
Before reneawal, yes.

No, you should pay the claim yourself and not involve the insurance if that’s an option