Savings account opened in UK bank by non resident, Is it possible?

L

lenjames

I have friend residing in and, native of Argentina who is asking me if it's possible for her to open a sterling savings or investment account in one of the British high St banks in her own name. She only has £5,000 to put in to it and doesn't mind it being tied up for a year. Could someone please advise me if it's possible and/or where best to invest it to attract the best interest for her. I think she's assuming a better rate of interest even after tax than she would get in her own currency in an Argentinean bank.
Many thanks.

First off bear in mind that this forum primarily deals with Irish personal finance and related issues. Secondly - read the terms & conditions of the accounts in question which should clarify any issues around residency etc.

I have sometimes wondered about the possibilities of opening / keeping accounts in ireland if i should leave the country and give up my address here.. I think the UK and ireland might have similar policies ?!
I still have several accounts in the UK from when I was living there,
I believe to open an account it is absolutely necessary to have an address there at least (and one bank told me if i give up my address in the UK they won't maintain the account..)
the one bank used to pay me interest with no tax deducted,
after some years they told me i'd have to declare my agreement to pay
tax to maintain the account, then i found out that i can still get the tax back from the UK tax office after filling in a non-resident tax claim form.
I think this should be similar for Ireland..?!

Back