Saturday Voting - Yay or Nay?

odyssey06

Turnout was down in this election, the 4th lowest turnout ever.
Should we blame Saturday, or was Storm Ciara a bigger factor?

Did Saturday may it more or less likely you would vote?
For me, Saturday is usually way more convenient.

I think weather had a greater impact than anything else. I personally loved it, more for the fact that I could easily stay glued to the results all day Sunday!

I think weather had a greater impact than anything else. I personally loved it, more for the fact that I could easily stay glued to the results all day Sunday!

I know between that and the rugby on Saturday, my marriage did well to survive. Of course she did go to a shopping centre for a few hours so will probably be paying for that...Where do SF stand on not paying credit card bills?

Last edited:
I think it was a bad move by Leo Varadker , what was he thinking? it backfired on him, it contributed alot to Sinn Fein getting that vote and the decimation of the fine gael and fine fail vote

I gotta say "Yay". I was surprised at the low turnout though as locally the polling station (please note the singular - I voted early but not often!) seemed busier than usual.

High time we moved to a non-school day in my opinion, delighted to see it finally happen. As for low turn out - bring in mandatory voting per the Australian model.

Eh, are you sure about that one... people voting who couldn't even bother to vote voluntarily, I don't think their votes would help the stability of the country.

works in Oz
At the moment working class people vote for centre left parties like FF and FG. Welfare class people (those who derive all or a sizable proportion of their income from welfare payments) tend to support far left like SF/PBP/assorted nutter but those people tend not to vote. I'm happy with that scenario.

Back