satellite broadband - supplier recommendations

ballymgirl

Hi

We have eir bb at the moment and it is worse then useless, supposedly have 1.5mb and never get more then 0.4. We have tried all other options available for BB and none of them work so we are left with satellite.

I am wondering if anyone is using it at the moment and can they either recommend it or not.

We are based in the north wexford area.

many thanks

Hi have rubbish broadband from Eir too. I tried other providers and they are not much better,
Are you in a Fibre area ?. If any of your neighbours have it then you should be able. One of my immediate neighbours have fibre but still Eir will not provide it to me. Digiweb were going to try for me but because of the storms they could not get to me before my contract up. It might be worth trying them. They do both satellite and land line broadband.
Good luck.

I have UPC/Virgin Media - The first router they give you will be terrible... They give the cheap ones out first. The line will keep dropping. Complain and complain and you will get a newer model and then its perfect.. Very pleased with the broadband!
I have heard this same story from four people - I thought it was just me at first, maybe they are trying to get rid of old stock!

However.... The TV is awful - The remote is overly complex, the interface on the screen is hard to navigate and there are limitations and bugs in the software where you surf channels and you get all sorts of odd behaviour.
I am not a big TV watcher anyway, so can live with it.. The broadband I have to say is lightning quick!

Hi

We have eir bb at the moment and it is worse then useless, supposedly have 1.5mb and never get more then 0.4. We have tried all other options available for BB and none of them work so we are left with satellite.

I am wondering if anyone is using it at the moment and can they either recommend it or not.

We are based in the north wexford area.

many thanks

We're based in north Wexford also and get good fibre optic from Vodafone. 18 month contract for €38 per month. Well worth it. We use Freeway and Saoirview for TV so no ongoing cost there.

Thanks for your replies however, there is no fibre where we are and eir have advised they have no plans to supply it down our road - UPC / Virgin are not available at our location. We really have tried all options other than satellite - every type of dongle from each of the suppliers, all the companies that have said "oh yes of course we can give you amazing BB" have come out tested and cant even get a signal on their equipment - we really are in a black hole when it comes to BB - we only have weak mobile signal while perched on an upstairs windowsill with head against the glass!!!! we could never be without a landline as you cannot rely on a mobile signal at all. So after several years of trying every option we are left with Satellite and that's why I am looking for some recommendations / or not.

I have UPC/Virgin Media - The first router they give you will be terrible... They give the cheap ones out first. The line will keep dropping. Complain and complain and you will get a newer model and then its perfect.. Very pleased with the broadband!
I have heard this same story from four people - I thought it was just me at first, maybe they are trying to get rid of old stock!

However.... The TV is awful - The remote is overly complex, the interface on the screen is hard to navigate and there are limitations and bugs in the software where you surf channels and you get all sorts of odd behaviour.
I am not a big TV watcher anyway, so can live with it.. The broadband I have to say is lightning quick!

Hi, can you tell me the brand of these cheap router please? Virgin/upc recently upgraded my broadband and gave me a new router and its been a headache ever since.

I understand your predicament as I'm in the same boat.

However for your own sanity do not get satellite broadband. The so called providers here in Ireland are just resellers not providers.
They all provide the same service from Tooway which is so heavily saturated that it will make your current Eir connection seem like fibre.
Also they are all sub selling through an English company Avonline. Now they are currently claiming that their latest offering guarantees a minimum of 9mbs over a rolling 30 day period. This sounds brilliant until your speed drops dramatically in the afternoon and on weekends, and at times you cannot even connect to any website despite being online.
On calling their support line your told some gibberish and then that you're outside the rolling period. You try to find out what a rolling period is and they cannot give you a direct answer, or you get told different things each time. I was told once that the issue was being caused by birds flying past the dish at my house.

While I'm a past 'customer' of two of these so called resellers I argued out of paying for any bill due to the bad service received. I do have the advantage of being a network engineer and have even stated that I'd be happy to discuss with the engineers from too way as all resellers rely on Avonline for technical support and after two calls where I pointed out to them that I was recording the calls and listed where they were stating causes for the poor service which were actually not possible according to the known laws of communications technology, they basically refused to take my calls.

While I don't have any personal experience of wireless broadband, this technology would also be dependant on the number of users which is known as contention, however I've had some experience with it through work life and the end users were happy with the connection. If you have this option in your area it might be worth looking into.
No point giving out to the gombeen men knocking on your door lately about it they washed their hands of this topic.

Back