Sandblasting bricks

OhPinchy

The house we have just bought is half red brick, and I do mean red as the previous owners actually painted the (traditional orange red bricks) with red paint and painted the pointing black - and thats only the start of the things demonstrating their bad taste.

We want to get the bricks back to their original colour and have been told to sandblast them. What does sandblasting involve and how successful is this likely to be?

Does anyone know anybody that does sandblasting or anywhere I can hire the necessary equipment? Thanks

OhPinchy said:
The house we have just bought is half red brick, and I do mean red as the previous owners actually painted the (traditional orange red bricks) with red paint and painted the pointing black - and thats only the start of the things demonstrating their bad taste.

We want to get the bricks back to their original colour and have been told to sandblast them. What does sandblasting involve and how successful is this likely to be?

Does anyone know anybody that does sandblasting or anywhere I can hire the necessary equipment? Thanks

Sandblasting is as the name states sand blasted on a surface to strip off a layer/layers of old paint/timber it is a messy job but is quite effective for removing stubborn paint you should be able to hire a sandblaster from the local tool hire shop if not then they will point you in the right direction you will also need a lot of protection gear as believe me the sand goes everywhere so make sure your eyes and mouth/nose are well covered with suitable protection gear. Good Luck ;)

If the house is only half red brick at the front, I assume its the bottom half (like my own) but if you need to get to a height with the blaster, hire a cherrrypicker, as I suspect from Dobber's comments you need a sturdy base to work from when the dust starts to fly!

Back