Sale agreed few months, can I ask for more?

A survey has been done way back in june.
You see, we didn't know this, as you never said.
Contract has been drafted 2 months ago but not signed by me as its pointless until buyer (a foreign investor) is in position to sign.
Supposition on your part, contracts are binding. Will put you on a better foot, legally, that is. Either purchaser signs or they dont.
Im comfortable, as far as I can be, that progress is being made and buyer is genuine.
This appears to be at variance with your OP. now you feel progress has been made?

ArthurMcB Said: I agree, i think there has been a lot of time wasting.

Last edited:
If they say no i will put it back on open market and possibly with a new EA.
Note, as already mentioned earlier, it is almost certain that the contract you signed with the EA has a termination clause, be sure you fully understand that. Many agents here require a 6 month notice period, and if you sell the property independently or via another agent within that time, their fees are payable in full.

Sale has still not closed. Between my solicitor, their solicitor, their bank and my estate agent I dont fully underatand why its been so delayed. It seems the delay has mainly been between the lending bank and the buyer. Contracts have been signed and exchanged, just been waiting on funds for the past few weeks.

Im so frustrated with the whole process. Iv constantly been chasing my solicitor and estate agent. I dont think either of them have been unduly slow or incompetent; the delays all seem to be very much with the buyer and their bank.

My tenants have been gone since early June, as i went sale agreed end of april. So i have missed out on 4.5 months rent so far which is significant for me.

Do i just chalk this down to nievity by me and inexperience and move on once sale completes?

Or do I have any way that I can recoup some of the lost rent?

Sale has still not closed. Between my solicitor, their solicitor, their bank and my estate agent I dont fully underatand why its been so delayed. It seems the delay has mainly been between the lending bank and the buyer. Contracts have been signed and exchanged, just been waiting on funds for the past few weeks.

Im so frustrated with the whole process. Iv constantly been chasing my solicitor and estate agent. I dont think either of them have been unduly slow or incompetent; the delays all seem to be very much with the buyer and their bank.

My tenants have been gone since early June, as i went sale agreed end of april. So i have missed out on 4.5 months rent so far which is significant for me.

Do i just chalk this down to nievity by me and inexperience and move on once sale completes?

Or do I have any way that I can recoup some of the lost rent?
If contracts have been exchanged there will be a closing date. If that date has passed, then have your Solicitor serve a Completion Notice compelling the other side the close by a certain date or the sale will be pulled and you can charge interest.

Would it ve ok for me to directly contact the buyers solicitor re this as the hold up is on their end?

My solicitor is chasing for me but its all too slow and uncertain.

Would it be very inappropriate/unusual for me to do this?

8 weeks is very good between Sale Agreed and Closing.

I think 12 weeks is common.

I suspect 16 weeks is not unusual.

You went Sale Agreed at end of April, that is six months, 26 weeks.

Okay, that is long, yes.

I don't think your sol would like you bypassing them, to attempt to contact the purchaser sol.

Also, the purchaser sol may not reply.

I want to phone other solic, not email. I dont care if I hurt my solicitors feelings im sure she would understand my motivation. I want to take the bull by the horns and try to drive this fwd, whatever that takes.

Solicitors don't talk to other solicitor's clients directly.

It is inappropriate - it's why clients have their own solicitors. To do their talking for them

mf

It is inappropriate - it's why clients have their own solicitors. To do their talking for them

mf

I agree. I recently sold a property and the buyer started including me on e-mails to his solicitor and asking for me to add my solicitor to the chain which I refused to do. It was just mad. I couldn't understand why his solicitor responded to the mails with me on it. It just felt really inappropriate.

If the delay is between the buyer and the bank, what good would ringing the buyers solicitor do? Ask your solicitor what your options are at this stage and take their advice.

I agree. I recently sold a property and the buyer started including me on e-mails to his solicitor and asking for me to add my solicitor to the chain which I refused to do. It was just mad. I couldn't understand why his solicitor responded to the mails with me on it. It just felt really inappropriate.
That is strange. Out of curiosity, how did they get your email?

It was a private sale so no estate agents involved so we exchanged e-mail addresses and phone numbers. Never again. I eventually had to block him.
That's a weird one Sunny! I did a private sale a while ago and while yes myself & buyer communicated via email, once it went to solicitors, that was between me & mine, and them & theirs.
To the OP, I'd be on to my solicitor now, and tell them straight up you want to close asap, and what the options are because they've been delaying so much.

mf
Not only do Solicitors not talk to another Solicitor’s clients directly, it would be unethical for them to do so.

Back