Rutland Avenue, Crumlin

M

Movin'

Anyone familiar with the Rutland Avenue (Clogher Road end) part of Crumlin.? We are viewing a house there but I dont really know the area so any info would be great. Also what are the schools like around there?

Thanx..

Re: Rutland Avenue, Crumlin ??

Am familiar enough with Rutland Avenue...a lot of social housing has been allocated around that area. Also Rutland Grove beside it is known as Hatchet Grove in Paul Williams' books because of the gang related stuff that used to go on there...i dont think its AS big a problem anymore.

Re: Rutland Avenue, Crumlin ??

Movin we looked at a house there a while ago and my boyfriend's mother checked with a friend of theirs (retired guard) about Crumlin in general and he did mention that Rutland Avenue would be a no-no.... pity cos I really liked the house! But it was enough to put me off...

Used to be a great spot but like a lot of other areas around there the drugs scene has taken its toll. Rutland Grove seems to have quietened down for the moment. See this house has gone sale agreed http://www.kellygunning.com/residential.php?id=1109 Saw elsewhere that it sold at €350,000.

The houses on the left heading towards SIPTU club are overlooked at back whereas ones on the right have Synge St. sports ground at back. Used to be trouble years ago in the sports ground but think that has stopped now. Clogher Road is ok.

On Clogher Rd. the Marist school used to be OK and Loreto on the Crumlin Rd. had a great reputation but think it is rougher now. Can't speak about Scoil Iosagain on Parnell Rd. or Aughavannagh Rd. really. . Pearse College on Clogher Road would be handy and http://www.crumlincollege.ie/pages/part/adult/learning.html is quite good.

Supermarkets, Crumlin Shopping Centre is not great, too many smaller branches of Dunnes, they need to get their act together and make it one shop. Tesco there is not bad. Superquinn is up at Sundrive and is quite good. Think there is Spar or Centra near the park. IMHO the park is a no go area at night.

Don't mind reports about it being close to Luas, it is a long walk to Suir Bridge to get it and that is a safer stop than Fatima. Buses are great on Crumlin Road, all the 77s and 50. Some others but slower routes down at Dolphin's Barn.

Don't know if you would consider it to be a good or bad sign but plenty of cop cars circling around at night.

Don't know if the noise level would be bad from the SIPTU Club and it sounds as if the house you are going to view is near there.

If you need to know anything else let us know.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Thats certainly given me food for thought. The house looks great on the web but not all that sure I want to move to that area based on your replies..something to mull over for w/e.!

In fairness I wouldnt let what Paul Williams say put me off anything, he makes up all these terms "The murder Mile" etc and dramatises stuff to sound like the Sopranos, just to sell his books. They are fairly nice houses close to town and I would say 99% of your neighbours are ordinary Joe Soaps

I think the part of Rutland Avenue closest to Clogher Road is probably fine. It's only a couple of miles to the city centre and has good ex-corporation houses. The other end, closer to Dolphin's Barn is probably not as desirable.

I lived in that area for years as a child and teenager, it doesnt matter what end of the road you buy its all the same,most people on that road have lived there all there lives and its only a small handfull that give the area a bad name. Rutland Grove (Hatched Grove) was given that name in the 80's as it was a new housing estate that relocated large families (some undesireable) from flats in Dublin and there was a coming together of petty criminals, bank robbers and drug dealers into the estate, I don't know if its as bad now, but that said I wouldn't be in a hurry to move back there.

I lived nearby for a few years recently and did notice that the end closest to Dolphin's Barn seemed to attract more burned out cars. Around Hallowe'en, it was particularly bad. The other end seemed more settled.

I've lived in Rutland Ave for the last 2 years and its a great road. Full of a mixture of families and people who have lived there for a longer while. Lots of kids playing in the street in the evenings and weekends. No burned out cars, no trouble at all. It's a great to spot to be as its handy for Eamonn Ceannt Park, supermarkets and the canal - 20m walk to Stephens Green. Having a house with a garden is a load better than an apartment with a 2m square balcony!!
If you're thinking about buying in this area I'd go for it!

Hey,

I think this thread is old and I wanted to revive it.

Do you have any ideas about latest status of Rutland Grove Cul-de-sac ?

If you can help me with your experiences, it will be really helpful.

Thanks.

Great to see old threads re opened rather than starting a new one .Spent a lot of time in Crumlin hospital about 10 years ago got to know some people from around Rutland Ave they were great people to know and very helpful at the time nothing but good experiences of the people who said they were from around that area,

Do you have any ideas about latest status of Rutland Grove Cul-de-sac ?

I don't live too far from there, and I wouldn't touch it. There have been a few problems over the last few years with cars burned out, windows smashed and gangs of kids involved in anti-social behaviour. Google 'Rutland Grove drugs', or 'Rutland Grove assault' etc. and take a look at the results.

Back