Rules for apartments

L

lilywhite

Living in an apartment and have been plagued with antisocial tenants living in apartment in our block. Been going on for months now with various incidents that have to cut a long story short caused many sleepless nights, calls from the Gardai ect. Have seen in some apartment blocks rules posted up re. noise, litter, behaviour ect and just wondering would anyone have a list of these rules handy. We have an AGM coming up and thought they might (although I doubt the tenants in question would pay much heed to them) come in useful. At least they won't be able to claim they didnt know that such and such wasnt allowed to happen in apartments.

Is there a managing agent responsible for your development? Ask them for a copy of the rules and to have them posted in the lobbies/hallways.

As you say, the tenants in question will more than likely ignore them.

lilywhite said:
Living in an apartment and have been plagued with antisocial tenants living in apartment in our block. Been going on for months now with various incidents that have to cut a long story short caused many sleepless nights, calls from the Gardai ect. Have seen in some apartment blocks rules posted up re. noise, litter, behaviour ect and just wondering would anyone have a list of these rules handy. We have an AGM coming up and thought they might (although I doubt the tenants in question would pay much heed to them) come in useful. At least they won't be able to claim they didnt know that such and such wasnt allowed to happen in apartments.

Hey pal,

Your resident's committee (or management committee) should be able to help you out. It's usually written into contracts that noise can't be made after 10 or 11 at night. If they rent then it'll be easier to get rid of them than if they own it. The management committee should go to them without saying who complained.

Detail every single time they make too much noise, always be specific. Don't say "in June you made loads of noise at night" say on the 16th at 2.30 am music woke me up. Always specific never general.

If they are tenants you can compain to the Private Tenancies Board and their landlord(s) will be held responsible. Intially bring it up with the management group but be very specific and precise. Keep a diary of incidents and if there are photos of damage or litter, etc, take them.

Having said that its very difficult to get rid of bad tenants if you don't know the landlord and/or he doesn't take the problem seriously.

Again, in my experience, antisocial tenants often are bad tenants in general and end up being evicted for not paying the rent or wrecking the place so they may be gone soon anyway.

Thanks everyone,

Started keeping a diary of events a month into realising events weren't just a one off. Have been onto management company countless times - phone and letter. They are under impression landlord doesn't have contract with tenants - anyone know why that makes it harder to get rid of them? They've broken the rules so many times I can't see how they've any rights.

Are the management company passing the complaints onto the the tenants and their landlord. Ultimately it's the landlord that will get rid of them so try to make sure the landlord is getting plenty of agro about it.

GeneralZod said:
Are the management company passing the complaints onto the the tenants and their landlord. Ultimately it's the landlord that will get rid of them so try to make sure the landlord is getting plenty of agro about it.

Management company are passing on complaints. But I don't know whether landlord passes complaints onto tenants. I'll keep on with the aggro. Just so pissed off with ringing every week - same old story, I ring, they ring him, he says he'll deal with it, roll on the next weekend and the same stuff happens all over again!

In my place the management company sends the complaints to the tenant direct as well as the landlord.
If many other residents are complaining about them so much the better.
Maybe this is just luck but I've found ratcheting up the complaint level does speed their departure.

If the Gardai have been called and haven't been able to get them to behave, I doubt they will care about what anyone else thinks.

The landlord will need to kick them out-it is probably him that you should 'target'.

lilywhite said:
Management company are passing on complaints. But I don't know whether landlord passes complaints onto tenants. I'll keep on with the aggro. Just so pissed off with ringing every week - same old story, I ring, they ring him, he says he'll deal with it, roll on the next weekend and the same stuff happens all over again!

You need to start making a nuisance of yourself. Can you get the phone number of the landlord and ring him up at whatever time the problem is happening.

If you cannot enjoy your sleep, I don't see why he should enjoy his.

thanks for all the advice everyone - think you're right re making a nuisance of myself. gardai couldn't really do anything said its a civil matter re noise - need to get council out to measure it ect - not much use when its the middle of the night!

AFAIK you could go to the Guards and file a forman Anti Social behaviour complaint ... the more residents and mgmt company who make a official complaint also would help, however you may have to go to court and give evidence if it goes that far.

Back