Rubbish in Phoenix Park yesterday

M

Marky

I was passing through Pheonix Park yesterday and the place was like a dump. I'm aware O2 in the Park took place on Saturday, but surely O2 or the promoters should be responsible to have a team of collectors collecting rubbish during and after the concert. There wasn't anyone, that I could see collecting rubbish yesterday at 2pm!

Smelly litter bins.

Just walk around St.Stephens Green, Ely Place, Sth. King Street in Dublin on a Sunday lunchtime and see the rubbish, broken glass everywhere. Nobody seems to be in charge.
The wasps are beginning to die off and every litter bin is swarming with them as they look for sugar food. Why are the rubbish bins not hosed down at this time of the year.? It seems that the bins are a place to put rubbish but not seen as the cause of rubbish themselves, with their smells, gunge, sweet and ice cream papers, leaking tea/coffee/mineral containers oozing out on to the surrounding footpath. They can really smell on a hot day.

Re: Smelly litter bins.

Why should O2 clean up after these people? Surely the people attending should have put their wrappers in bins or taken them home instead of creating the mess.

Organisers of events in the Phoenix Park (and other public parks such as Marley Park etc. I presume?) have to lodge a bond with the OPW linked to the size of the event to cover damage, litter etc. If the place is not cleaned up properly by the organisers then some or all of the bond is forfeited. I agree that people should take care of their own rubbish but this is not always practical at big open air events. Personally I don't really agree with public parks being used for commercial events such as the O2, Pixies/Red Hot Chili Peppers gigs etc. but, then again, I also think that all traffic - perhaps bar on Chesterfield Avenue, should be banned too... :)

Park Litter

Drove through the Park this morning, and to my disgust I saw the hellish mess left by the crowds at the concert over the weekend........who gave this crowd permission to have a third huge event in the park this year, as a local resident I am tormented with traffic chaos and the park being used as the new dunsink for these people.

Where has the average persons self pride for their natural ammenities gone too ??????

Sick to death of it........

> who gave this crowd permission to have a third huge event in the park this yea

There is some scheme whereby the Phoenix Park can be used for certain arts (hah!) related events so many times a year. I can't remember who oversees this (POW, Department of the Arts etc., Heritage Ireland, somebody else?) but I remember seeing ads in the newspapers soliciting applications for licenses for such events for 2004/2005. If, like me, you object to public parks being used for such events then perhaps you should contact your local elected representatives and make your views known. There's hardly any point in complaining about or to the event promoters who simply avail of the licenses available and the opportunity to stage such events.

concert venue litter

I was stunned by the amount of litter as we left the Slane gig this year. We took our sandwich and crisp wrappers home but I don't recall seeing any litter bins to put beer glasses or food wrappers in. But these gigs are designed as opportunities to have thousands of people consume overpriced food and drink.

Also, adding to the whole mess to be cleared up was the millions of bits of paper which made up the paper fountain spouted into the air at the end of the concert. This would be easily swept away (no pun intended) on an indoor venue floor but very difficult to do on grass.

Butts on ya.

The filth and dirt of Dublin's Wicklow Street and surrounding streets yesterday, Sunday, was appalling.
Mostly cigarette butts outside licensed premises. I thought that owners of these places were required to keep the outside areas clean?

Back