RTE News Readers - Time to Move On

N

niallymac

When are RTE going to wake up to the fact that Anne Doyle is amongst the most facially expressionless news readers ever to have graced our screens. Yet she still commands the prime 9pm slot. She should be on "Extreme Makeovers" not reading the news. Add to that her monotone voice and you have all the ingredients of how not to be a news presenter.

Admittedly, Bryan Dobson is the business, but too many of RTE's news presenters just don't cut it any more. But what can we expect, these decisions are being taken in Montrose by the same people that give us Pat Kenny and Bill O'Herlihy. Does anyone in Montrose have the balls to start making some real changes at RTE !

I'd still rather watch RTE news, than TV3's comic book.
And if viewing figures are anything to go by so would most people.

You cuold always switch over to the beautiful people on TV3 if that floats your boat.

You might even get their weather man to say hello to you on your birthday. ;)

-Rd

Someone tell me when we've started talking about TG4's weather girls please.

tg4

An Aimsir Laithreach, 9pm. The finest 5 mins of the day. :)

RTE

Don't get me wrong, I too would rather watch RTE than the bufoons on TV3, I just think they need to get rid of a few has beens that are no longer up to the job.

Of course its not a physical thing (there's plenty of channels in the 900's for that sort of action ). Think back to a time when RTE did decide to go for the bootiful people and got rid of the national treasures from the met office, I'm talking Gerry "the wink" Flemming, Evelyn Cusack et al. The public were up in arms, they wanted their weather from an official source, not from a pretty source. And dead right the people were, RTE did an about turn and restored Gerry and his gang of winkers to our screens.

But please please Anne Doyle, do the decent thing and retire. You've had so much Botox and other treatment that your face doesn't even move any more. The voice grows old too.

Re: RTE

I reckon they should let Podge And Rodge read the news.
At the very least let them read the RTE TWO news with Sharon.

-Rd

> When are RTE going to wake up to the fact that Anne Doyle is amongst the most facially expressionless news readers ever to have graced our screens. Yet she still commands the prime 9pm slot. She should be on "Extreme Makeovers" not reading the news. Add to that her monotone voice and you have all the ingredients of how not to be a news presenter.

Er, what exactly do you consider the ideal attributes of a newsreader then?

Look on the bright side

At least they keep the real dogs on the radio

Anyone else find the present Radio 1 current affairs type program presenters um, er, well

WORSE THAN THE HARVEY NORMAN ADS ?

Re: Look on the bright side

I reckon they should let Podge And Rodge read the news.
At the very least let them read the RTE TWO news with Sharon.
I can't see the Isreali prime minister cooperating with those two. But they might agree to an interview with George Hook - in the right lighting, its hard to tell the difference between George & Podge.

Anne Doyle

I very much agree that Ms Doyle is not good on telly. She carried out an interview with one the reporters on a live link up, there was no air of spontaneity in the questions, no links between his answers and the next question and so on.

Look a the BBC guys and gals, they all seem bright and interested in asking questions and maybe even ask one of their own, they even, gasp, use some regional accents now!

It's not looks - it's that it is not just about 'reading' the news anymore, you have to interact with others during interviews and at least look like you're interested.

Anne Doyle

I agree that the TG4 weather girls make rain look enjoyable!

The Plank.

I agree with the comments about Anne Doyle. I sometimes wonder if her mouth works on automatic like some robot, she also looks as if she has a plank attached to her back. The person who bothers me most is the female RTE weatherperson who has constantly to gulp and swallow. If she is that nervous she should only be working in the background.
Des Cahill makes me laugh though. Sometimes he has me rolling around laughing with his constant good humour and wit.

Re: The Plank.

The person who bothers me most is the female RTE weatherperson who has constantly to gulp and swallow

It's definitely the weather you're watching and not something else yeah? :p

weather exercises

About the female weatherperson on RTE who tends to gulp and swallow.... I'm frightened for her every time I see her present the weather.
She always seems on the verge of suffocating herself. It can be distressing to watch.
I think she just needs a few breathing exercises to control her delivery.

weather exercises

> she also looks as if she has a plank attached to her back.

You mean Pat Kenny?

TV3 news no good??!

I don't care how bad the news is as long as I can watch Claire Byrne!

Re: TV3 news no good??!

At the end of the day it's all about the ladies...right?

Silly me and I thought it was the message that was the ultimate object of the exercise. Now we are going to shoot her are we? It seems to me we are into and "ageist"? angle. the yanks dont appear to have any problems with their long in the teeth anchor men.
Happy newswatching
Roundstone

farm them out

women out by 29 - well past their peak
men by 69 - time for a round of golf

"> she also looks as if she has a plank attached to her back.

You mean Pat Kenny? "

:lol

Back