RPZ exemption 'substantial change' in the nature of the accommodation

Marobar1

I'm a landlord with a house in a Rent Pressure zone that is getting rental income of €1,300 when similar properties are advertised for €2,500.
I'm thinking of serving the tenant notice and applying for a substantial change exemption.

I can meet 3 of the criteria for the exemption if I convert a very large living space to 2 smaller living spaces and do the necessary changes required to push the BER up 2 places (i.e. new boiler, insulate the attic etc.)

The criteria for this exemption is as follows:
At least 3 of the following:-
A permanent alteration to the internal layout;
An adaptation for use and access by persons with a disability;
A permanent increase in the number of rooms;
An improvement in the BER by three or more ratings, where the BER is D1 or lower;
An improvement in the BER by two or more ratings, where the BER is C3 or higher.

So my question/(s) is, does this renovation qualify as a substantial change? Is there somewhere that I can get advice to ensure I am playing by the rules?
My alternative is leaving the property idle for 2 years but €30k of mortgage payments over this time would be difficult to justify, at least the BER upgrades would be beneficial even if it meant a cost outlay.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments

Last edited:
Is there somewhere that I can get advice to ensure I am playing by the rules
From my experience, the answer is no.

RTB will only assess your application after the fact & I couldn't get a clear answer if they would do the assessment on a new rent before I signed a lease with a tenant.

In the end I took the decision to leave it empty for two years; I'm doing refurb myself, so dont mind the time investment.

Market rent will be double previous rent (after refurb also); so for me it's short term loss for long term gain.

Thanks for the response, we'll probably sell up so. I'll call the PRTB tomorrow to see if they'll give me any assurances, but I'm not expecting much.

Back