Room painted 6 weeks ago, still smell of paint/gas?

Change the water in daffodils each morning and slightly cut the bottom of the stems at an angle.

Just like milk or beer paint goes off over a long period of time, especially when stored in a shed. The more "stale" it is the more it smells "sour" especially emulsion (water based) paint. Other than the aforementioned onion solutions there isn't too much you can do only leave windows open for as long as necessary.

Buy paint as you need it, don't always jump for "the old buy three - one free trick" unless you are going to use the paint pretty soon.

The paint was all new, the decorator bought everything new for the job (receipts provided). The apricot white was mixed at a reputable paint dealership. As mentioned, the paint manufacturer confirms there is a known problem of the gas like smell. I am obsessed with leaving windows open, much to my husband's annoyance at our large heating bills! Two thirds of the hous was painted, only a few rooms smell, but they are truly disgusting. One room had new wallpaper which was painted, others had been painted once before.

The paint company will be in touch with a solution, though they did say it means repainting all walls (he could have said with some sort of solution, I was too upset to take it all in after three weeks of upheaval).

The paint was all new, the decorator bought everything new for the job (receipts provided). The apricot white was mixed at a reputable paint dealership. As mentioned, the paint manufacturer confirms there is a known problem of the gas like smell. I am obsessed with leaving windows open, much to my husband's annoyance at our large heating bills! Two thirds of the hous was painted, only a few rooms smell, but they are truly disgusting. One room had new wallpaper which was painted, others had been painted once before.

The paint company will be in touch with a solution, though they did say it means repainting all walls (he could have said with some sort of solution, I was too upset to take it all in after three weeks of upheaval).
Have you had any updates on this? Have you managed to solve the problem and if yes, how?

Hello, we have the same issue. One of the bedrooms smells like fresh paint even after six weeks! But the walls are dry and don't seem to smell. We aired the room every day, sprinkled baking soda on the new fitted carpet!

Did you paint the woodwork with oil based gloss paint by any chance?

That stuff takes months (3-6) to fully cure.

I'm interested in seeing how the original poster solved their problem, or did it get solved at all?

A lot of people think painting is the easiest of DIY tasks. Yes, it is easy to put paint on walls but very few check on condition of walls beforehand and even if they do they don't know how to treat a problem. Materials used in a room can be absorbers of paint smells too, carpets, cushions, fabrics, wood, plasterboards that might be a bit damp, etc, etc. Time will usually solve things but????????

I know this is a long shot but I recently painted a bedroom and replaced the carpet and put a new mattress with a mattress topper on the bed. Constant smell of gas was in the room and eventually discovered it was the new foam based mattress topper.

We used Dulux matt for all the rooms in the house, except bathroom and kitchen, obviously, but it's over a wallpaper. I don't know if that's the issue. No furniture in the room, just the new carpet, which we've went with baking soda and vinegar. The smell is even stronger.

Back