"Room Auction"-style websites for hotel deals in Portugal?

DrMoriarty

Does anyone happen to know of an equivalent site to for hotels in Portugal? (i.e. where you input your dates and budget and hotels can make offers)

Or is it a specifically "Anglo-American" thing?

Did you try Priceline? there's a .com, .co.uk and .eu version but only some of them are auction based

Thanks. The .eu one reverts to .co.uk, but when I enter our dates and go through the "Name Your Own Price" bit , I end up at a page where I've to add credit card details and agree to the following:

[broken link removed] [FONT=geneva,helvetica,sans-serif]If we find a hotel that accepts your price, we'll immediately purchase your hotel rooms on the credit/debit card you provided to us. Please note, you will not be provided with a list of hotel options. [FONT=geneva,helvetica,sans-serif]Please remember, once you click "Book My Hotel Room" your request cannot be changed, cancelled, or transferred and refunds are not allowed.[/FONT][/FONT]
[broken link removed] [FONT=geneva,helvetica,sans-serif]If your price is not accepted, we will stop our search and your credit/debit card will not be charged.[/FONT]

Seems rather a leap of faith... :confused:

On roomauction.com you're presented with a range of offers which you can examine before committing to a booking or providing card details.

Sorry, I thought you were familiar with Priceline. Yes it is a gamble but a little research in advance can often reveal the hotels.

My tips

1. Never bid on anything less than 4*
  2. Have an idea of the area of the city you want to stay in, and check the priceline maps. One of the hotels we go to in London is in a different zone according to Priceline than for any other site
  3. Check the priceline lists on www.betterbidding.com

We use Priceline almost exclusively for hotel bookings, have saved a fortune and have never had a bad room.

Back