Roof repairs - pls tell me I'm wrong about these guys

F

franksm

I had to have some repairs done to my roof recently (couple of tiles blown off and a section of flat roofing peeled back) and used this post for assistance:

The phone number for Frank O'Reilly is wrong there, I used the one in the Golden Pages (298-5844).

They came out had a look and we agreed they'd come the next day to do the work. Didn't know a price there and then as they said they wouldn't know until they started.

In the end, they replaced the two tiles and folded back and nailed down the big piece of flashing covering a piece of flat roof... two hours work. The final cost was €800 + VAT

They guys were very courteous, they knew their stuff, and came well recommended. Had a real good feeling until the bill came: €800 for two hours work... is that normal ??? I know there must be some danger money involved, etc etc, but... ?

Sorry to hear about your troubles and the stress that the whole matter seems to have caused you.

I had some roof repairsdon myself sometime ago and the guy is a very reputable repairer. There was ahefty charge because I'm told there insurance costsare colossal nearly as bad as a gynacologist! Mostof them havea minimum call out charge but notsure how muchit is.

Despite yourstress it seems you were luckythey came out and did the job properly because if youread these you will see these guys are somethin else and

I know itsnot much consolation but countyour lucky stars you were not involved in the tsunami and noone was killed.

Didn't know a price there and then as they said they wouldn't know until they started.
This should have set your alarm bells (the ones in your head, not the ones on the wall of your house) ringing. The lesson learnt for the next time might be to get more detail on this beforehand, i.e. understand their charging structure (€x call out charge plus €x per hour plus materials) to restrict their opportunities to rip you off.

Sorry to say that my experience with roofers has been appalling too. They seem to be a law unto themselves in terms of not firming up on price, charging outrageous prices and if you want a receipt they add the VAT onto the price quoted (as if they hadn't already included everything but the kitchen sink). €800 for two hours sounds crazy to me too.... did they issue a receipt? How much tax do these guys pay?

Roy

Re: €800 for two hours

...sounds to me like 'off-the-top-of-my-head'...
(I presume these guys took a look around your house/the car(s) in the driveway, etc...?)

Ring them back, say you've a couple of neighbours needing work done but that you're a bit reluctant to recommend them because of the shock you got from their last price, etc. etc. And then ask them about their 'pricing structure'.

Bet they offer you a retrospective adjustment.

And if not — ask first next time, silly! (no offence... ;) )

"And if not — ask first next time, silly! (no offence... "

Doc,

Don't make Frank feel any worse than he already does. He did say "Didn't know a price there and then as they said they wouldn't know until they started" which confirms that he did ask but as usual I'm sure they were not able to confirm until they went up onto roof and had a good look around which is something they always say.

Thanks for the comments - they are helpful. To be honest, I needed the roof done urgently as you know how windy it's been here the last couple of days - couldn't afford any more pieces falling onto cars below (not to mention people's heads !)

You're right - pricing structure would have been good to know. If these prices are high due to "danger money" ie. insurance and the rest, then that's one aspect. If you consider garage mechanics - there's certain danger involved in their work (handling carcinogenic materials, danger of fire, welding, vehicle lifts, heavy lifing etc etc) plus the huge cost of their equipment and other capital - yet they "only" charge €50 per hour.

You get a feeling deep down in the gut when you've been ripped off, even if you don't understand how or why, and that's what has me at the moment. Is there a building standards committee or something that roofers belong to ? Someone that could objectively say that such-and-such a job warrants such a cost ?

Is there a building standards committee or something that roofers belong to ?
CIF is the overall industry body, though I don't know if they have a complaints mechanism.

Back