Road traffic act - secure vehicle

deco87

I believe it's a breach of the criminal law to - A. Leave your ignition running
- B. Failing to lock and secure your vehicle in a public place

Would anyone know where in the legislation these two offences are - I need the specific wording for a work project
Thank you
D

Its an old one!

Regulation 87 of the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963

87. (1) Where a vehicle as allowed to remain stationary on a public road, the driver shall not, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, leave the vehicle unattended unless—

(a) the engine of the vehicle is not running,

(b) where the engine is contained in a separate portion of the vehicle capable of being closed, such portion is closed, and

(c) where the vehicle is fitted under article 31 of these Regulations with a door or doors capable of being locked or with a device for preventing unauthorised driving, such door, doors or device is or are locked so as to prevent the vehicle being driven, and, where appropriate, the key of the door, doors or device is removed from the vehicle.

(2) Sub-article (1) of this article shall not apply to a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire fighting or rescue purpose.

(3) Where a vehicle which is required to have a parking brake or a braking device capable of acting as such is allowed to remain stationary on a public road, the vehicle shall not be left unattended unless that brake or braking device is effectually set:

Provided that this sub-article shall not apply where the driver is requested by a member of the Garda Síochána or a parking attendant (licensed or authorised as such under the Act not to set the brake.

Well fair play - what a find - thanks a mill !!!

Long shot !!!! Does below basically mean in plain English. That if a car has a door with the ability to lock it - it must be locked. - to comply with this regulation!
Thanks again for quick response really appreciate it.
Paste :
(c) where the vehicle is fitted under article 31 of these Regulations with a door or doors capable of being locked or with a device for preventing unauthorised driving, such door, doors or device is or are locked so as to prevent the vehicle being driven, and, where appropriate, the key of the door, doors or device is removed from the vehicle.

Half the time I forget to lock my car and it's unlocked overnight (albeit on my driveway but easily accessible to others). I never realised that I was potentially breaking the law.

Long shot !!!! Does below basically mean in plain English. That if a car has a door with the ability to lock it - it must be locked. - to comply with this regulation!
That's what I understand.

The link I posted was ro the original act. It has been amended several times, but I don't see any changes to that specific section.

There is a fine for them, in the general penalties of Road Traffic Act 1961.

General penalty.

102.—Where a person is guilty of an offence under any section or subsection of a section of F194[the Road Traffic Acts, 1961 to 1994] and, apart from this section and disregarding any disqualification that may be capable of being imposed, no penalty is provided for the offence, such person shall be liable on summary conviction—

(a) in the case of a first offence under that section or subsection—to F195[a fine not exceeding €1,000],

(b) in the case of a second offence under that section or subsection, or of a third or subsequent such offence other than an offence referred to in the next paragraph—to F196[a fine not exceeding €2,000], and

(c) in the case of a third or subsequent offence under that section or subsection which is the third or subsequent such offence in any period of twelve consecutive months—to F197[a fine not exceeding €2,000] or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding three months or to both such fine and such imprisonment.

Half the time I forget to lock my car and it's unlocked overnight (albeit on my driveway but easily accessible to others). I never realised that I was potentially breaking the law.
I'd say you'd be on solid legal ground if it's on your drive - not a public road :) . I wouldn't be so confident of some Ne'er do well rifling through it for what ever is not nailed down.

My Dad left the car unlocked in his drive while he went inside to get something, when he came out a few minutes later car had been rifled & prescription sunglasses gone. Broad daylight robbery. Urrgh!

If you have the misfortune to suffer theft of the vehicle whilst unlocked - public place or not - the insurance underwriters will probably reject the claim under the terms of the policy.

There is usually a condition that excludes liability if the vehicle is left unattended and unlocked. Just running in to the shop for a minute would probably qualify as a circumstance that would operate the condition where you did not lock it !

There is usually a condition that excludes liability if the vehicle is left unattended and unlocked. Just running in to the shop for a minute would probably qualify as a circumstance that would operate the condition where you did not lock it !
It would be the same on your house policy, if you decided to nip next door for a minute with out locking the doors and putting the alarm on

Like Clubman, I also have on a number of occasions forgot to lock the car over night, it happens. The old car I have, has a red flashing light illuminated when alarmed, and a quick glance before going up the stairs always reassured me it was locked.

Latest car I have, does not have that feature, and being keyless, is actually easier to break into, and drive away without the noise of pulling out the locks or breaking windows with the right electronic equipment.

The insurance Company would be relying on the policy holder to be up front with them about leaving the vehicle unlocked in the event of a theft.

Back