Road deaths statistics from the 1960s

B

Brouhahaha

I recollect reading in a newspaper article that the level of road deaths in the late '60s was about twice what it is now. Does anyone know can this be correct? I can't find stats for this on the web

Thanks Luke, exactly what I was looking for. I was discussing this last night with a retired Garda seargant and he didn't believe that the number of road deaths back then were as bad as that. It does seem counter-intuitive as there were a lot less cars on the road then but 540 in 1970 is an horrific number.

If by Level of road deaths you mean the rate of road deaths then it appears that you may be correct, in the 1970's the average no of deaths was 378. For the last nine years it has been 412 (a total incerease of 8%) I can't find the number of cars on Irish roads in the 70's compared to today but it's a safe bet it has more than doubled -googlers to your positions please. If these assumptions are corrct then the rate has about halved.

Broughahaha: didn't see UR last post before I posted mine, but it looks like the same conclusion

Back