FAQ Rights of a beneficiary; Who is entitled to see a will? and related issues

Hi came across this forum so thought i would seek some advice. My father has recently passed away and I was wondering what entitlement if any I have to seeing his will. My mother and father separated (not legally) and he met someone else. She is executor of the will. They got a mortgage together so have a home. She has returned to the UK (where she is from) But has not mentioned sorting any of his affairs. She has left it to us to organise a death cert and we dont even know if he had a life policy to cover the funeral costs. Do we have any rights to view any documentation as next of kin? My mother is still alive and they were still legally married when he passed. Thank you

if she is the executor then it's up to her to process the will if he actually wrote one. my only thought is when the will is complete you can view it as it is available to be viewed then.

Hi , the thread is by far the best info I could find ..

My question .

Is there a way of finding out who are the executors of my dad's will ?

I am a beneficiary as are all siblings .

I know my brother is one executor and says his estranged wife is the other and she has not signed the solisitors paper s.

Sounds fishy to me so want to see if the 2 are indeed executors . 15 months gone by .

I contacted today my dads solisitor but he can't issue a copy of will oviously but can't devulge who the executors are..

So how can I find out if true ??
Many thanks in advance for guidance

Are either of your parents still living?

How do you and your siblings know you are beneficiaries?

You could write a letter asking for them to contact you, and have the Solictor to send to the executor(s).

You can also apply to have the executor(s) removed if application for probate is not progressing.

Whow fast.

We don't know for certain we are beneficiaries. My dad showed one of us the will , but oviously could have been changed .

I've requested a copy of the will from my brother (executor ?) I assume the Will states the executor(s). Its crossed my mind his wife is not signing for probate as might be using as leverage.

I suppose how do we know if there's even a valid Will and who is executors ..

Sorry both have passed , and my brother (executor ) lived in my dad's house before he passed and still does ..

So how does any know in reality if there is a will , an executor(s)
Or all fiction and not being progressed whatsoever

You possibly need to get your own solicitor onto this. Realistically it should not take this long to sort a will. I assume your brother has seen the will as executor, therefore can't he confirm if you are a beneficiary?

You can also apply to have the executor(s) removed if application for probate is not progressing.

And that's the Crux of it .. how do I find out who they are officially, when my father's solicitor who drew up the will won't say.

This is a bit bonkers.

Is there any property? Who is looking after it? Who handled payment for funeral etc?

Edit to add, I see yr note that yr brother is living in the family home.

Write to Solicitor.
Ask if he holds a copy of your fathers last will.
As him to forward the enclosed letter to the executor(s).
In that enclosed letter you ask the executor(s) to make contact and advise of progress.
If no response within a reasonable timeframe then you make application to remove executor(s).

executors when they are confirmed should write to all beneficiary to inform them they are mentioned in a will. they may state if any specific items are listed for you or may simple state that upon liquidation of all assets you will receive all or some of the proceeds after all estates debts are paid.

the reason I say this is this was my experience. I along with several other people were written to and informed thus. no details other than the fact that I would in time receive something.

I didn't say they couldn't do it, I said they are not obliged to do so.

And to answer yr other question, when you get yr chq / property!

Hi, my brother died a few months ago. His ex wife is his executor and everything is going to his two children. The issue I have is neither I or brothers and sisters have any information on the contents of the will. Are we entitled to see it as we believe he may have been coerced into making a new will by the ex wife.

It has gone to probate so I think I may be able to see it. Can you please provide and light on these issues

"His ex wife is his executor and everything is going to his two children."

How do you know this if

"neither I or brothers and sisters have any information on the contents of the will. "

"Are we entitled to see it"

It will be a matter of public record when Probate is granted

we believe he may have been coerced into making a new will by the ex wife. "

Any grounds?

If you seriously want to do something, you should see a solicitor without delay.

mf

"everything is going to his two children"

Sorry for your loss, but why do you have a problem with this?

I don’t have any issues with everything going to his children. My brother told me he was leaving most of his estate to the two children (adults) and also informed me that a copy of his will was in his safe at home. I would like to see his will to ensure his final wishes are carried out.

His wishes for the scattering of his ashes were ignored and after visiting the probate office, they inform me that he died intestate. I know this is not true. There is obviously something in the will that my former sister in law doesn’t like if they are saying there is no will that is a lie as my brothers and sisters were also told by my brother that the will was in the safe.

Is it a criminal offense to hide/destroy a will.

You can't prove anything. You only know what your brother told you. You have no copy of a will. You have no ( we assume) contact details of a firm of solicitors who may have made a will for your brother. You don't know if your brother destroyed his will, if he had made one at all.

Your brother's kids will benefit on intestacy.

Let it go- you're going nowhere with this one.

mf

If there is no will, how did your brother's ex wind up as the executor of the estate?

Back