Right handed self checkout tills

they can be purchased either way, depending on their position in the shop and the flow of the queue.

I was surprised recently when a store (can't remember where) had a self service checkout where the checked out items went to the right. Every other one that I had used in every other store was the opposite - checked out items went to the left. I'm not sure which is right or left handed. But it's probably the definition of a first world issue...

Do you not queue and take the first available - I have never been in a queue where an individual in front of me wanted to wait for a right/left handed one!!

Is the issue here someone so one-side dominant that they need to pick items up, scan them, and place them in the bagging area with that same hand?

Regardless of left or right handed tills, most people either pick up or put down items with their weaker hand. Unless you find one particularly more challenging than the other, there shouldn't really be an issue. Where it might be is where careful packing of the purchased items is a concern, and in that case, the more popular left hand placement of the bagging area favours left-handers.

Do you not queue and take the first available - I have never been in a queue where an individual in front of me wanted to wait for a right/left handed one!!
Why would he/she be in that queue then so?

The worst for me is the person who decides they have to bag everything before paying. Put the bloody stuff in the trolly and bag away from the checkout. Muppets :confused:

The worst for me is the person who decides they have to bag everything before paying. Put the bloody stuff in the trolly and bag away from the checkout. Muppets :confused:
Talking self-service here, I don't see too many people bringing trolleys of goods to those.

Why would he/she be in that queue then so?

Its one snake queue and a number of tills at the top of the queue; when a person reaches the top the queue and a till becomes available they take that one...

never used a self service till but what is to stop you not scanning an item ,like even the till operators sometime items wont scan .
Can you put item straight in to grocery bags after self scaning like they dont have to be counted ,might use self service if ques are too long in the run up

never used a self service till but what is to stop you not scanning an item ,like even the till operators sometime items wont scan .
Can you put item straight in to grocery bags after self scaning like they dont have to be counted ,might use self service if ques are too long in the run up
What's to stop you? The weighing mechanism in the self service till that will catch putting non scanned items in, security cameras all over the place, the staff that watch etc...

Back