Revolut Now Have 500,000 Irish Customers. Update: 1m customers now.

Sure but these pillar banks really need to improve their websites and app design.

Don't hold your breath!

The main Irish Banks have failed to invest in proper technology for over a decade, possibly closer to two decades, at this stage.

Wonderful announcements made about intented spend, don't tell the full story - the actual detail of what the money is being spent on, and who is doing the development work etc.

Speak to anyone in any of the main Irish Banks and they'll all tell you the same thing, if they are honest with you... most of their internal systems are ancient, typically are not integrated - so you've multiple stand alone systems etc. That in turn restricts what can be offered to the customer, in terms of user friendly, efficient and reliable tech.

Internally, most of the Banks are still pushing lots of paper around and even sending faxes between locations, it simply defies belief!

Internally, most of the Banks are still pushing lots of paper around and even sending faxes between locations, it simply defies belief!

There was a missed opportunity post bail-out to offload one of the big two to a major European player with much better systems.

I have banked with AIB and BoI and AIB strikes me as the most prehistoric in terms of its technology, but BoI aren't much better, some of the statements they send me seem to have come out of a dot matrix printer!

Of course to make this work you have to have a willing purchaser, and Ireland is still a tiny market. It would also involve huge amounts of branch closures on a job losses and I think a lot of politicians aren't interested in that.

Back