Revenue wont allow PRSA due to late claim

cronley

I made a payment to my PRSA scheme before 31/10/07 & asked Revenue to allow it for 2006 tax year when doing balancing statement. They have accepted that I made the payment in time, but wont allow it for 2006 because I didnt ask for 2006 balancing statement until 06/11/07.
They will allow this payment for 2007 tax year, but it suits me to get it into 2006 tax year - I get more relief at 41% in 2006 & I also want to make a further PRSA payment for 2007 tax year.
Is there anything I can do about this - I know I can appeal it, but am I only wasting my time. Revenue are probably right in law, but have they power to make an exception. They accepted late notification of PRSA payment for 2004 tax year, which I didnt claim until 2006. If I point this out, can they take back the tax relief for 2004.
Any comments appreciated.

Clubman
If you are reading this. I am in PAYE. Your comment above to another post, did not work in my case. Revenue have told me I must fulfill 2 conditions to get PRSA payment allowed for 2006 - 1. Payment must be made by 31/10/07 & 2. Revenue must be notified by 31/10/07.
I met condition no. 1 & missed no. 2 by 6 days, because I was not aware of it.

Looks like they have changed the rules. It worked for me in the past also - made PRSA payment pre 31/10/05 - claimed it in 2006 for 2004 tax year & it was allowed. If I point this out now, can they take back relief I got for 2004.
Is appealing the decision a waste of time. Is relying on previous precedent, valid grounds to get the decision reversed. Have Revenue power to make an exception. Any point in appealing to their softer side - missing the time notification technicality by 6 days.

Dare I suggest that it might be something that your local political representitive may be able to help you with?.