Returning to work after 6 mths? Do i get tax back and how?

J

Joolster

I've been working for the same company for the last fours years but have been on unpaid sick leave since the beginning of July, receiving disability benefit. I will be returing to work on a three day week basis on the 8th of November. Am i entitled to claim tax baxk and if so how do I got about it? DO I let the tax office know immediately when I return to work or do i wait til the end of the year? My basic salary is 30500€.
Thanks

When you return to employment then it makes sense to make sure that you or your employer notify Revenue so that the employer is issued with an up to date tax deduction card (and you with an updated statement of tax credits) for the purposes of calculating payroll tax/PRSI deductions. You should certainly avoid the situation in which you might end up on emergency tax because the necessary documentation (e.g. P45 etc.) is not processed. An updated tax deduction card/statement of tax credits should take account of tax credits/allowances that were unused or partially used while you were not working. All going well things will balance out so that you will get the benefit of these thus reducing your tax/PRSI bill for the rest of the year. If this does not happen then you can still write to Revenue including your 2004 P60 (issued early 2005) and any other relevant details asking them to check your tax/PRSI deduction records for discrepancies in case you are entitled to a refund. In the general case of becoming unemployed you can complete a form P50 to claim tax back in respect of unused tax credits/allowances while unemployed but there may be no point in doing this now unless you are stuck for cash and can't wait for the updated tax deduction card/statement of tax credits to take care of things. Does this make sense to you?

Returning to work after 6mths?

Thanks -I think so......I'm really not very good with this. I don't think emergency tax will be an issue as I haven't been unemployed, just on unpaid sick leave and am now returning to the same company.
Thanks for your help

Returning to work after 6mths?

It might be an idea to discuss this with your HR/payroll department and/or your Revenue office just to make sure that everything is up to date. More likely than not your any unused/partially used tax credits/allowances will be applied as a matter of course so you will not be out of pocket. Even if you find that you are at the end of the year write to your Revenue office as outlined above and they will sort it out. Good luck with the return to work.

Back