Health Insurance Returning emigrants

Newarrivals

Hi Snowyb,

I am really hoping you can help us with the maze that is the Irish health insurance market!

We are a family of 6 who have moved back to Dublin on 1 July from the UK and we are now looking to get health insurance cover in Ireland. Our kids are 7, 9, 12 and 13.

We currently live near Blackrock so would like to get cover for the Blackrock Clinic and ideally the other hi-tech and private hospitals in Dublin. We would like the excesses to be as low as possible.

We are willing to spend up to €4000 per year.

I saw on other threads that you have recommended the Laya 360 Care Plan/Laya Simplicity coupled with the VHI One Plan Complete for the kids. Do you think that would be the best option for us? I heard that Laya used to have plans where you only paid for the first child - do you know if those are still available?

Newarrivals,

Welcome to AAM and welcome back to Ireland.
Firstly as newly returned emigrants to Ireland, you have 9 months from your date of return, 1 July 2017 to buy health insurance without
incurring any LCR loadings, if you are over 35 years.
Note; LCR means Lifetime Community Rating
https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

Regarding the recent Laya offer, pay for 1 child and the rest go free, this finished on 30 June 2017.
This offer is often repeated at other times during the year. Note; if you go with VHI for the children, they are locked into that plan for 1 year.
VHI don't allow a person to switch plans during the year. You have upto 9 months to join a health insurance plan, so the option is there to
wait until the right offer comes along if you want.

The alternative option with VHI is also a very good offer.
One Plan Complete; price 168 per child - half price from 1 August 2017, with VHI you pay for the first 3 children and the rest are free.
All public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, with no excess.

Adults;
Both Laya plans 360 Care and Simplicity are very good options.
1. 360 Care; price 1750pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess, hi-tech shortfall just 100 per night. Excellent day to day cover, 75% refund.

2. Simplicity; price 1191pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, max excess 100 x 2 per year for
private or hi-tech admissions, day case excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover, 50% refund - the first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

While 360 Care plan is an excellent plan that ticks all the boxes, it is the kind of plan that would be recommended for maybe an older person
with several ongoing medical conditions and illnesses who would use it frequently re private/hi-tech hospital admissions etc.
Personally I think I would be inclined to go for Simplicity plan, for the two adults with an overall saving of 1100 per year, which would be useful for any health expenses for the whole family.
Unless either adult has ongoing health issues, which 360 Care plan would suit if applicable.
There is also the option to choose Simplicity plan for 1 adult and 360 Care for the other adult if it suits, to save money.

The children can be insured with VHI on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but only the children are insured.
Note; the VHI Swiftcare clinics are only open to VHI customers from 1 September 2017, so this facility is handy for children and teenagers
with sports injuries etc to avoid using A + E.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,

Thanks so much for your reply!

The Laya Simplicity does sound like good value. I have just realised that my employer has a VHI group plan so I wonder if it is worthwhile considering an alternative VHI plan. Which VHI plan would offer access to all the hospitals with good day to day cover and a low excess?

I like the access to the VHI Swiftcare for the kids too. Is there a plan for the kids which has slightly better day to day cover than the One Complete?

Back