Retired people are at a much lower risk of poverty than younger people

Oh there was great poverty and im not denying it but there were very very few people in the 1960s living in a mudhut up against a ditch, i never knew of any way.

Census 1966 had 15k of 687k households living in dwellings of no more than one room. That's 2% - not small!

There were over a thousand one-roomed dwellings with four or more residents.

Some of these people are still alive today.

Census 1966 had 15k of 687k households living in dwellings of no more than one room. That's 2% - not small!

There were over a thousand one-roomed dwellings with four or more residents.

Some of these people are still alive today.
Very much so, we had neighbours as late as the early 80s without running water toilets for example, others (mostly old bachelors) living in mud wall cottages that basically all ended up literally falling down. My father born in the late 20s remembered seeing neighbours trapping crows to eat.

Oh there was great poverty and im not denying it but there were very very few people in the 1960s living in a mudhut up against a ditch, i never knew of any way.

At least they had drinking water close at hand. So no need to trudge 2 miles in their bare feet through the snow and ice to the nearest well!

Donning my architect's flat cap for a moment, may I venture to enquire how exactly does one balance a mud hut against a ditch? I assume that the basement must be liable to occasional flooding.

Some tinkers used to camp every year over winter not far from where we lived, big families with a lot of horses feeding on the roads with feet tethered, some men were tinsmiths, women begged for milk and flour and they literally lived by the ditch/hedge in atrocious conditions. I'm coming up to 70 and every day now I walk past where they used to camp up until I was around 15'ish years old. Little do the people living in beautiful big houses on these sites know what was there just over 50 years ago. People also forget how hard things were for settled people up to around the 80's when things began to change a bit, especially in the countryside. One thing there never was much of and that was, snacks and eating between meals, central heating, hot water on tap, nor was there money, one house might have a telephone that others used, some had tv's, lots hadn't, few had cars but the majority had bikes and school transport only came in around the early 70's. A few went on to 3rd level, lots emigrated the rest got whatever jobs they could get with minimal pay. Obesity was never a problem. Handouts were almost non-existant from the goverment. Snowflakes really were snowflakes at that time. We talk of poverty today? Oh dear, poverty my arxx.

Last edited:
Some tinkers used to camp every year over winter not far from where we lived, big families with a lot of horses feeding on the roads with feet tethered, some men were tinsmiths, women begged for milk and flour and they literally lived by the ditch/hedge in atrocious conditions. I'm coming up to 70 and every day now I walk past where they used to camp up until I was around 15'ish years old. Little do the people living in beautiful big houses on these sites know what was there just over 50 years ago. People also forget how hard things were for settled people up to around the 80's when things began to change a bit, especially in the countryside. One thing there never was much of and that was, snacks and eating between meals, central heating, hot water on tap, nor was there money, one house might have a telephone that others used, some had tv's, lots hadn't, few had cars but the majority had bikes and school transport only came in around the early 70's. A few went on to 3rd level, lots emigrated the rest got whatever jobs they could get with minimal pay. Obesity was never a problem. Handouts were almost non-existant from the goverment. Snowflakes really were snowflakes at that time. We talk of poverty today? Oh dear, poverty my arxx.
Things have really improved. I remember the 70's and 80's. I remember my grandparents didn't have a phone or central heating. I remember dinner being fried eggs, beans and home made chips. Wouldn't it have been awful if we'd given tax breaks to rich people then?

Things have really improved. I remember the 70's and 80's. I remember my grandparents didn't have a phone or central heating. I remember dinner being fried eggs, beans and home made chips. Wouldn't it have been awful if we'd given tax breaks to rich people then?

Aren't we very lucky that both FF and FG were in favour of Ireland joining the Common Market? And isn't it stunning to realise that the Irish Labour party was totally opposed to the idea!

Aren't we very lucky that both FF and FG were in favour of Ireland joining the Common Market? And isn't it stunning to realise that the Irish Labour party was totally opposed to the idea!
Yes, as were the Shinners.

Fried eggs beans and home made chips would make delicious dinner this evening

Back