Retired and lump sum savings

Indecisive

Myself 66 and husband 67 are retired with weekly income from pensions totalling €900.
We have savings of 350k sitting in 2 current accounts.
We own our home valued approx 300k outright and have no other assets nor do we carry any debts. Family are all grown, doing well and live abroad.
We are both in fantastic health and intend staying that way. We have good health insurance and house is modern and needs no upgrades.

I would like advice on what to.do with the savings. I was always reluctant to go the investment route but now with rampant inflation, im beginning to get concerned. I have made an appointment to see a financial.advisor however I have this niggling feeling about investing right now in light of all the global issues going on. Your thoughts on the issue would be welcomed.

At the very least, even just while making your mind up, get it out of the current accounts and into a higher (than presumably 0%) interest rate account. See the savings best buys threads.
I have made an appointment to see a financial.advisor
What sort of advisor? Ideally deal with an independent one that isn't simply a tied agent, otherwise biased towards specific products regardless of your needs, and isn't collecting big commissions at your expense. A fully independent advisor working for a clearly specified fixed fee may be best.

Myself 66 and husband 67 are retired with weekly income from pensions totalling €900.
We own our home valued approx 300k outright and have no other assets nor do we carry any debts. Family are all grown, doing well and live abroad.
We are both in fantastic health and intend staying that way. We have good health insurance and house is modern and needs no upgrades.

I would like advice on what to.do with the savings. I was always reluctant to go the investment route but now with rampant inflation, im beginning to get concerned. I have made an appointment to see a financial.advisor however I have this niggling feeling about investing right now in light of all the global issues going on. Your thoughts on the issue would be welcomed.
Similar situation few years younger. Scary say over 10 yrs inflation averaged 4%. 350k would become in real terms 210k.
Really no option but to take on educated risk?

Definitely worth seeking independent advice as so much depends on your personal circumstances - is that money that you want to spend to travel etc, do you spend more or less per year than the 900pw provides? Chances are the right answer is a certain % in cash (most not actually in cash though - post office bond which is redeemable quickly if needed but earns something if not), and a certain % spread over some low annual cost investments depending on risk appetite/time horizon. I understand your niggling feeling about investing now but that's often the best time to invest - you could spread your investment over 2 or 3 tranches over next year to spread risk.

Mix it up. Some money for living now and enjoying life and some money for life later. The money for life later should be invested. If you live another 20 years for example, what will the costs of life be then? Did you imagine what your current life would look like when you were 46? It's a long time.

It sounds like you are in a good position financially, so invest some of your money in quality assets and leave it for a number of years. Check it once a year, you'll have no need to check it more often than that.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Mix it up. Some money for living now and enjoying life and some money for life later. The money for life later should be invested. If you live another 20 years for example, what will the costs of life be then? Did you imagine what your current life would look like when you were 46? It's a long time.

It sounds like you are in a good position financially, so invest some of your money in quality assets and leave it for a number of years. Check it once a year, you'll have no need to check it more often than that.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie
S

Interested in this topic as all going well we’ll be in a similar situation from a pension perspective soon. Can I ask is that €900 a net amount weekly and is it sufficient for your existing lifestyle without using savings?

Interested in this topic as all going well we’ll be in a similar situation from a pension perspective soon. Can I ask is that €900 a net amount weekly and is it sufficient for your existing lifestyle without using savings?
I don't see how that's a useful question. We have no idea how parsimonious or extravagant the original poster's lifestyle is. It's easier for an individual to collate/estimate their own annualised outgoings are in order to figure out how much it costs to fund their own lifestyle.

A good question because gives more rounded information in order to give a relevant response to the individual rather than a very general reply.

. A fully independent advisor working for a clearly specified fixed fee may be best.
Agree with this. But before you go you have to decide what you want. Do you want this wealth accessible for an emergency? If so, how much? Do you intend to bequeath it (see above)? If so, how much?

Have a think as well about the Fair Deal - financial wealth gets eaten up pretty quickly if you are in nursing care. Housing wealth does not, nor wealth transferred to your kids.

I have some funds in State Savings. I have some funds in Prize Bonds. I have some funds invested in a share that is giving me a dividend of about 7% p.a.
I am spending some funds improving my home. I am booking holidays. I have given some funds to my children as gifts and some funds via the bank of Mom and Dad.

I am tempted to put more money in to the Stock market, especially in those companies paying higher dividends but I am reluctant to do this. As my State Savings mature I am not re-investing the funds back there. I have increased my holding in Prize Bonds. I am at the age where I would be getting concerned about health care and coping as we get older.

For me it's fingers crossed and trying to stay happy and healthy.

Inflation is something that happens in the past, e.g. the CSO tells us that the CPI rose by 8.9% between November 2021 and November 2022, but unless you have a crystal ball, no one knows what it will be in the future, i.e. until its rate is determined by the CSO or Eurostat. Investment is all about the future, i.e. buying assets today to stake a claim on the future earnings of the asset. The aim of the European Central Bank is price stability by maintaining the value of the euro. So if you decide to move your savings from euro deposits (e.g. bank accounts; state savings) to risky assets you are in effect betting against the ability of the ECB to provide price stability, which is something a hedge fund might do but not normally a saver.

In Jan 2022 the annual CPI was up by 5% , let’s say at that stage you correctly estimated that inflation was set to increase significantly and you moved some of your savings into risky assets, so how did you perform?

In 2022, eurozone equities declined by 6%; European properties declined by 30%; eurozone government bonds declined by 16%; and American equities in euro terms declined by 14%. (Figures taken from representative funds sold by Zurich.) That’s your nominal return. Your real, i.e. after inflation return, when you account for 8% inflation, is eurozone equities -14%; European property -38%; eurozone government bonds -24% and American equities -22%. But if you stayed in bank accounts/state savings your return was -8% (less whatever meagre interest you received). So you didn’t do too badly, considering the investment alternatives in 2022. You did better than almost anybody who switched from their savings to risky assets. [There were some asset classes that did provide a positive return, e.g. gold, commodities, timber, but these are unlikely to be the first choice of a retail investor whose objective is wealth maintenance.] And if you switched significant amounts of your savings you would now be suffering from ‘buyers remorse’. People say cash savings are ravaged by inflation, and while this is correct underperforming risky assets are similarly ravaged, both by inflation and by capital loss.

So what should you do? One is to spend money to make your retirement easier, e.g. new bathroom, new kitchen, improved heating, etc. You say your house doesn't ‘need’ an upgrade, but this is neither here nor there. Having worked all your life and now having some cash in retirement, you don’t have to justify prudent expenditure on yourself to yourself. Remember, your current savings are deferred spending from the past. Spend it now.

The other issue is the ECB. ECB didn’t exactly cover itself in glory in the eurozone sovereign debt crisis of 2008 – 2012. And there are other serious concerns, include it is too sluggish in dealing with inflation. So it might be prudent in this situation to diversify your holding from euro cash, the value of which is controlled by the ECB, to e.g. eurozone equities, the value of which is determined by the market. But I would not look at this as an investment; rather as the payment for insurance to protect the value of your savings where the ECB’s monetary policy fails. The equities may well also underperform, but should (eventuality) revert. But if you do this you must understand the risk associated with investment in equities.

[[Disclaimer: The above is comment / observation and is not a recommendation to follow any particular investment strategy or to buy / not buy any particular fund or stock.]

Last edited:
In 2022, eurozone equities declined by 6%; European properties declined by 30%; eurozone government bonds declined by 16%; and American equities in euro terms declined by 14%. (Figures taken from representative funds sold by Zurich.) That’s your nominal return. Your real, i.e. after inflation return, when you account for 8% inflation, is eurozone equities -14%; European property -38%; eurozone government bonds -24% and American equities -22%. But if you stayed in bank accounts/state savings your return was -8% (less whatever meagre interest you received). So you didn’t do too badly, considering the investment alternatives in 2022
Price inflation and price deflation in and of itself is not directly correlated to investment in equities. Without a period of price deflation, or banks returning interest greater than the rate of inflation, the -8% return by keeping your money in the bank has been locked-in. Investments in other types of assets have the potential to recover and further increase the rate of return without having to rely on price deflation.

Back