Restaurant in Dublin 2

I agree Capitol and Cafe en Seine and Porterhouse do grand cocktails. But if its sophistication the missus wants and something a bit special then to be honest you need to be going to The Shelbourne (great cocktails and great people watching and good pints I'm told) and near those D2 restaurants or else my fave is the terrace at the Merrion Hotel, if you are having an early dinner then a drink there if it's not raining is lovely or else no 23 bar there. Mint bar is nice too but last time I went was really lacking in people and atmosphere. Venu have great cocktails but it's a little bar beside the restaurant, sort of a waiting area moreso than a specific bar. Oh and Norfbanks idea is great, Fitzwilliam hotel cocktails and the Thorntons.......I'm off to drop some hints to the OH!!

I agree Capitol and Cafe en Seine and Porterhouse do grand cocktails. But if its sophistication the missus wants and something a bit special then to be honest you need to be going to The Shelbourne (great cocktails and great people watching and good pints I'm told) and near those D2 restaurants or else my fave is the terrace at the Merrion Hotel, if you are having an early dinner then a drink there if it's not raining is lovely or else no 23 bar there. Mint bar is nice too but last time I went was really lacking in people and atmosphere. Venu have great cocktails but it's a little bar beside the restaurant, sort of a waiting area moreso than a specific bar. Oh and Norfbanks idea is great, Fitzwilliam hotel cocktails and the Thorntons.......I'm off to drop some hints to the OH!!

You get around all the same, don't you ;)

Thanks for those suggestions. Stayed in the Shelbourne the last time and went to the Fitzwilliam before and it's a bit "hotelly". Not a fan of Cafe Insane either. Think I might try that Venu place. If I can squeeze a shot of whiskey in at McDaids and a few pints in Keoghs too I'll be a happy camper.

+1 on the Westin too though...savage mojitos there too! Decisions decisions. That's what I really miss about Dublin - pubs and restaurants. As a proud Corkman, I concede that our fare isn't nearly as good (Long Valley excluded in case Lex starts stalking me!).

I was in on Baggot St last Saturday and it was excellent. The only downside is the wine is vastly over priced (though it's a good list).

SABA does great food and fab cocktails. Lots of trendy bars around there and Peter's pub is just around the corner for regular drinks then.

I was in on Baggot St last Saturday and it was excellent. The only downside is the wine is vastly over priced (though it's a good list).

Looks great from the site - adore French food.

Regarding the wine it would be

* St Emilion, Gran Cru, 2005 ------------------------------------ €48.00

A fab year for Bordeaux and a grand cru to boot.

We're booked in to Cliff House, but I might reconsider!

Looks great from the site - adore French food.

Regarding the wine it would be

* St Emilion, Gran Cru, 2005 ------------------------------------ €48.00

A fab year for Bordeaux and a grand cru to boot.

We're booked in to Cliff House, but I might reconsider!

And from the mains....(getting hungry now!).

Flétan Rôti, Fondue de Fenouil et Poireaux, Sauce Pastis €24.50
Roasted Halibut Fillet, Creamed Leeks and Fennel, Pastis Sauce

Venu was great - not the type of pub I normally frequent, but delicious coctails. Cliff Town House was very very good. Great buzz and food was lovely. Thanks for all the tips!

Venu was great - not the type of pub I normally frequent, but delicious coctails. Cliff Town House was very very good. Great buzz and food was lovely. Thanks for all the tips!

Sounds like a great night! Thanks for the feedback firefly :)

Back