Requesting medical records of deceased person

rustbucket

Any pointers would be appreciated

I’m looking to access my mothers medical records for my sister (who lives abroad).

My mother passed away 3 years ago from illness and I’m wondering how to go about accessing or requesting the records about her illness (from diagnosis, to testing, to variant of illness etc)

I know it sounds strange but the nature of the illness may have some genetic considerations.

My sister is undergoing tests in another country and they have asked she get as much information as possible about my mothers condition.

There would be 3 areas (GP, Vincent’s hospital and Beaumont).

I guess I’m asking a couple of questions

1. Am I or she entitled to such information
2. Is there shared info between the GP and the hospitals or would I have to approach each separately?
3. Should I just ask generally or go via FOI

I’m flying in the dark here so if anyone has a similar experience or if someone works in these areas that might know I would appreciate any guidance or advice.

Plan on calling in to GP tomorrow as a start

Apologies mods as not sure what category to post in so please move if necessary

Thanks

At a general level, whos entitled to data legally after someone's deceased:

For Beaumont : http://www.beaumont.ie/index.jsp?p=212&n=683
Vincents : https://www.stvincents.ie/contact-us/freedom-of-information/

FOI are common requests in hospitals and one they should be familiar with handling.

I'd assume FOI, from first link next of kin is entitled to it. I'm not 100% sure how they check this, you will need proof - I'm not sure what they accept as proof for this. You may get some duplication between sources, e.g. Vincent's will send the GP and letter, and the GP will have same letter. However, there will be information in each that isn't common.

If its very specific information, I'd think that the GP is a good starting point.

Yes it’s quite specific to the condition she had. Not her general medical records. Thank you for above I will start with GP tomorrow and go from there

FOI is a formal process that puts a lot of work on the receiving organisation in terms of assigning a deciding officer, retrieving all possible records (including those that wouldn’t be directly relevant), listing and categorising all records, considering which ones can be released, alerting third parties who may be referred to in the records etc.

The process is designed to provide records that you then interrogate yourself. It doesn’t directly answer any specific questions you may ask. The process is best used in circumstances where you can’t get the information any other way.

In your case, it might be easier for all parties if you just ask for your mother’s medical history. You can always invoke the FOI process in the future if you’re not getting the information you seek.

Thank you. Was just up at the GP and they suggested the foi route via HSE. I’m waiting on a call back to confirm from receptionist

The precise legal basis for who can request it is here.

b) the individual to whom the record concerned relates is dead (“the individual”) and the requester concerned belongs to one of the following classes of requester:

(i) a personal representative of the individual acting in due course of administration of his or her estate or any person acting with the consent of a personal representative so acting,

(ii) a person on whom a function is conferred by law in relation to the individual or his or her estate acting in the course of the performance of the function, and

(iii) the spouse or a next of kin of the individual or such other person or persons as the head considers appropriate having regard to all the circumstances and to any relevant guidelines drawn up and published by the Minister.

You can cite this when you make the application to the hospitals.

I hope you have success and it's of benefit to your sister.

Back