Request by Land Registry to transfer property from my sole name into joint names

podgerodge

I received a letter from my solicitor as follows and was wondering if anyone could throw any light on the reasons for it before I contact them:

"We refer to the above property which was re-mortgaged in yourself and your wife’s name in 2004.
While we were registering your property the Land Registry contacted us to request that the property be transferred into both yourself and your wife’s name. Although your wife is on the mortgage the property was originally registered in your sole name when you purchased it in 1997.
Sorry for any inconvenience……please contact us to discuss this matter…."

(In 2004 I moved my mortgage to a different provider)
Thanks in advance

someone has told me it's illegal to have a mortgage in 2 names but the property in one - could this be the reason?

Thanks

We have joint mortgage, sole title on two properties - there's nothing illegal about it.

Certain actions by your wife can contribute to an equitable interest in the property. (e.g. paying mortgage etc.)

That's all I can think of.

Regarding your second posting: "joint borrower non-owner" is quite common - it protects the FTB status of a 2nd borrower in a family situation for example.

Well , I would beleive , it was a mistake commited by both your lawyer and land registry and they are just correcting it by regestering in both you & your wife this time as it is a joint mortgage, wish all goes well.

GG

GolwayGuy said:
Well , I would beleive , it was a mistake commited by both your lawyer and land registry and they are just correcting it by regestering in both you & your wife this time as it is a joint mortgage, wish all goes well.

I agree with above. At any rate its a technicality, surely as your spouse she owns half anyway?

Yes, she owns half anway , so thats why I was wondering why the Land Registry would have an issue with it - and if I'm going to be charged by my solicitor for an unnecessary change? Thanks

Back