Replacing gas hob with Induction Hob

LouisCribben

I’m changing my kitchen. I have a a gas hob.
I’m getting an induction hob instead. They have many advantages over gas, same control, no fumes, cleaner, safer, less heat generated in the kitchen.

The kitchen is already supplied with an electricity outlet for the electric cooker. This has its own circuit.

I’m wondering can I use this circuit to also power my induction Hob ?
I have a consumer unit from 1987, with trip switches. How do I find out what rating in amps the trip switch for the cooker is. It’s a red trip switch, does it work on colour coding ? All the other trip switches are also red I think. Is it possible to change the trip switch to handle higher amps

There is no RCD on this circuit, does there need to be if there is a HOB ?

The circuit will need to be able to handle perhaps 40 amps when the cooker and hobs are on at the same time.

...sorry, can't help you directly, but curious, I was thinking of changing from and induction TO a gas hob........for reasons e.g. better control.

I find the electric hob incredibly 'vague' from a control point of view.......

Electric hobs are poor from a control point of view, the main reason is that they take too long to get hot, and also when they are hot, they take too long to get cold.

Induction Hobs don't get hot - only the saucepan gets hot, so you have 100% control.
If you turn off an induction hob, it's identical in effect to turning off the gas on a gas hob.
Ceramic hobs are different - as they do get hot, so they don't have the same control as gas.

I wouldn't change from induction to gas if I were you, I was reading about some top London hotel changing from gas to Induction because of the advantages of induction over gas.

Back