Replacing Back Boiler

Pedro

Hi all,
I'm at the planning stages of doing up my early 1980s house. Going to get it rewired and plastered. I've been advised to get the boiler replaced - it's a back boiler and it's in the sitting room (at the rear of the house). This will have to be moved and placed in the kitchen (at the front). I've someone coming to look at it tomorrow but I would like a ball-park figure of how much this will cost. I'm presuming it's a major job and I've budgeted €3000 - is that way off the mark?

Finally, would I have to move out while all this is going on?
Thanks,
Pedro

Hi pedro is there a chimney for a fireplace in the kitchen already? if so 3K should be loads but it will obviosly vary depending on pipe runs etc and how much has to be replaced or whats usuable. If no chimney is there i would guess 3k would only cover the cost of the chimney but not sure.

Hi fmc, thanks a million for your reply. There is a chimney there already but we've been advised to go for a wall-mounted condensing boiler. We're going to get a few quotes but I'm just wondering what a ball-park figure would be. Do you reckon 3K would cover the cost of fitting a boiler in the kitchen? We'd like to keep the gas feed to the sitting room (where back boiler is at present) so we can have the option of putting in a gas fire when we have the funds!

Sorry pedro took you up wrong I thought it was a solid fuel back boiler. If its a condensing wall mounted gas I,d say 3k should cover you alright but depends on pipework and boiler chosen. Not as well up on gas boilers as I used to be.

Thanks a million fmc - my fault for not making it clear in the first place. Am having to learn all this lingo very fast! The pipework etc. sounds very labour-intensive but as I had planned to rewire and replaster anyway, it takes some of the sting out of it.

Back