Replace smart meter with day/night meter?

Anyway, surely the best way to do that is by revising the pricing structure in such a way as to encourage (or drive) consumers towards smart packages. As a day/night electricity consumer for the past 40 years I have no intention of becoming "smart" (sic) until the calculations make it worth my while - and the evidence is that many consumers feel exactly the same way.
People on day/night plans aren't the primary targets though.

The smart plans already make sense for a lot of people. On the average usage rates, the smart plans are close in price overall to the standard 24 hour tariffs. Even based on my own numbers, I'm not far off the point where a smart plan would save me money and I work from home. Have you done the calculations on your own usage and if so, how are you measuring use during peak time?

The smart plans already make sense for a lot of people.

I accept that, but I'm not "most people" I'm me! and to date no Smart plan has even come close to being financially attractive!
Rest assured that as soon as one does, I'll sign up to it before you can say "Ryan Tubridy!"

Response to Opt out letter from ESB Networks:

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm your MPRN 1001xxxxxx is no longer included in our current meter replacement plan. ESB Networks will inform your electricity supply company of your preference. If you change your supplier, please note you will need to renew your objection with your new Supplier.

Please be advised, if you wish to avail of smart services (time-of-use tariffs or the electrification of heat & transport) available from your energy supply company, or to take part in any future micro-generation scheme launched by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, that you will require a smart meter.

Further, our replacement meter stock is now comprised of smart meters, so please be aware that if your current meter: develops a fault, or you wish to relocate it, or if for any other reason a new meter is required then a smart meter will be installed.

If you have further queries or would like to be re-included in our plans for a free smart meter upgrade, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Please contact me again if I can be of further assistance."

If you have further queries or would like to be re-included in our plans for a free smart meter upgrade, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
I presume at some stage in the future when they have offered and installed the "free" smart meters in all properties, they will no longer be free!!

You can get detailed usage statistics if you sign in to https://www.esbnetworks.ie/

You do need a smart meter to access the data but you do not need to be on a smart meter plan
Thanks for this jpd.
I just signed up yesterday to access this and it was an eye opener for me to see when we use the most electricity. We fully charge our EV about twice a week and this task is our highest use of energy. With this info I am going to take the plunge to a smart plan. The Bord Gais Smart EV plan. Can get electricity at 10.4 c/kwh between 2am and 5am. So I will give the EV a nighly top up charge between those hours.

Reactions: Leo
The Bord Gais Smart EV plan. Can get electricity at 10.4 c/kwh between 2am and 5am. So I will give the EV a nighly top up charge between those hours.
Just be aware that even though you get a cheap nightly EV rate the standing charge, I think is €140 more expensive on that plan compared to the standard smart plan or the smart plan with free time Sat or Sun

Just be aware that even though you get a cheap nightly EV rate the standing charge, I think is €140 more expensive on that plan compared to the standard smart plan or the smart plan with free time Sat or Sun
Yes, thanks. I did notice the large standing charge. We wouldn't get sufficient use out of the free time sat/sun as often not there at the weekend. The amount we use the EV will balance out the large standing charge as far as I can see.

Back