Repairing sealant around bath where it meets wall

ClubMan

What are the options for sealing a (plastic) bath where it meets the wall? We have some small problem areas where the originally installed plastic & rubber sealant strip installed underneath the tiles does not meet flush with the bath leaving some small gaps (this arose because the builders dropped a hammer in the original bath and broke it and had to retro-fit a new one but didn't do a great job). Anyway, does anybody know if one of those adhesive sealant strips applied to the existing finish might do the job for now (until such time as we eventually retile in part or full)? I know that silicone sealant might be an option but the builders tried that in places and it looks terrible. Short of actually retiling in part (e.g. taking the bottom row of tiles off and fitting a new sealant strip) is there anything that can be done? Would jacking up the bath (if possible from underneath?) help to close the gaps? Thanks.

Have had similar problems in the past myself and tried many sealants but none worked great, eventually worked out that jacking up the bath was the way to go, then used a sealant to add a bit of extra comfort called "Durabond - Lexel" which is a clear sealant that takes a good while to dry properly but works well when it does. Haven't had a drop of a leak since.

Thanks for the tips Dowee. Guess I'll have to remove the side panel and investigate under the bath so.

1. Remove all traces of old sealent with white spirits and stanley blade.

2. Clean area thoroughly with soapy water.

3. Rinse and leave to dry.

4. Fill bat to it's maximum with water.

5. Seal with silicone sealent. Check that it is anti-fungal, and suitable for bathrooms.

7. Wipe over sealed area lightly with a damp j-cloth, and remove residue from j-cloth every foot.

9. After 12 hours let water out.

The bath will raise to it's old original level and complress the sealent.

agree with all ocras' points but one thing I'd add is - buy a roll of silicone strip and lay this first. Its a flexible strip that has a bend in it to allow it be wedged into the corner, and its adhesive gives a decent bond. Then use a gun to add silicone round the edges and where the strip meets the grouting. As the seal is only as strong as its weakest part make sure its completely dry and theres not a trace of old silicone before laying the new stuff.

Re: ...

Thanks for the tips. That adhesive sealant strip with a groove in it allowing it to bend at up to 45 degrees to fit against the lip of the bath and the adjoining wall and to work around corners is what I was thinking of. Would it be OK to fit this stuff over the existing sealant strip which is installed beneath the tiles (like the ones shown [broken link removed]) assuming old silicone is removed and the area cleaned first?

Never knew about the filling the bath trick. Nice one!

Re: My tuppence worth

We've had this same problem on many occasions and my tuppence worth is:

1. The anti-fungal sealant is definitely a must because made the mistake of buying the ordinary one (forgot to look for anti-fungal one) and had to strip and reseal within a few months.

2. We tried the flexible strip mentioned but found it awkward at bends. IMHO it would not fit well over the other strip and would require a lot of extra sealant to compensate.

3. Have been told by plumbers that the leak will regularly be nowhere near you think it is. The water channels itself and leaks/flows out in different spots.

Thanks suellen. Actually we don't really have a leak problem right now but I can see clearly where there is a gap where the sealant strip under the tiles is not sitting flush against the bath and was just wondering what was the best way to deal with this. I will investigate the "jacking up the bath" approach first and then take it from there. Cheers.

we had huge problems with leaking etc., got a tip from someone about filling the bath with water etc, have had no problems since then

Buy Sealux strip, and the sealant that goes with it. This system is flexible, so it flexes when the bath is full and the seal isn't broken. The sealant is also seriously water repellant so there's no chance of any disgusting mouldy stuff growing. Despite being an Irish company it's not easy to get (thanks B&Q etc) but I got mine in Chadwicks bathroom centre on the Greenhills Road.

[broken link removed]

Back