Renting out house

dino

Hi,
I'm renting out my house for the first time. I advertised it yesterday and I have a few viewings over the weekend. I will transfer the ESB before the tennents move in. I am just wondering what should I do about a tv license? The renewal notice arrived recently. If I rent the house with a TV am I liable for the license fee? How do I transfer it over?

Doesn't whoever uses the TV have to pay the license fee rather than the owner of it?

From the Oasis website:
Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (i.e., if the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Dino,

It's not an issue if you don't supply your tenants with a TV!

I don't think it's common for a landlord to provide a TV. It's one way of knowing if your tenants are viewing the tenacy as short term, if they are not prepared to buy a personal item such as a TV.

the more items you provide, the more things that can go wrong and the more hassle for yourself.

As far as i know in the past that when i bought my house i hadnt paid my licence for some time and then a notice came through the door telling me that they were sending these notices out to all registered houses that didnt have a tv set but in big red letters at the top of it it said that it didnt matter whether you had a telly or not, that even if you have an aerial and aerial connection you are liable to pay the tv licence. so when the licence inspector comes around to inspect the house and he finds that theres no telly but an aerial and a connection to the sitting room or other rooms well then you're liable to pay

DonKing said:
It's not an issue if you don't supply your tenants with a TV!

I don't think it's common for a landlord to provide a TV. It's one way of knowing if your tenants are viewing the tenacy as short term, if they are not prepared to buy a personal item such as a TV.

The more items you provide, the more things that can go wrong and the more hassle for yourself.
Would agree with DonKing, I don't provide TV's and in the lease I use it states that the tenant is responsible for the TV licence.

I also have a list of things, such as this issue, refuse, animals, gardening etc. that I go through with the tenant prior to them signing the lease just to make sure they understand their obligations - most tenant's don't read the lease.

Delgirl,
Would you be able to send me the list that you go through with you tennents. I'm new to this game.

Thanks,

Dino

Also, everything depends upon whether you're going to be tax compliant.

If you're NOT then any tenant can, quite legitimately, claim not to be a tenant of the property when the license man comes calling. Leaving you liable to the fine and enquiries from revenue.

Also, also, don't forget you have to register with the PTAB.

Hi dino,

You need to register the tenancy, within 1 month after the commencement of the tenancy, with the PRTB. You can download the form [broken link removed]. It costs €70 and is tax deductible.

Read everything on their website so that you are aware of your rights and obligations as a landlord and also the tenant's right and obligations.

If you don't already have a lease, there's a good one [broken link removed], which complies with the 2004 residential tenancies act, that you can download. Read it and modify it if necessary to suit the property you are letting.

You will also need to have Landlord's Liability Insurance in addition to the normal building insurance.

Here and here are some tips on what to supply (if furnishing) in a rental property. Look out for the 'must haves' like matress protectors and ironing boards!

Have you already read through [broken link removed] which deals with tax on rental income? This leaflet is helpful, but is a bit vague. If you're going to do your return yourself, you might like to get a bit of advice now rather than when the return is due so that you're aware of what receipts/records you need to keep.

Have you decided if you will accept Rent Allowance or not? If you are going to accept it, I have a waiver that the tenant can sign to ensure you received the rent direct from the Health Board and not via the tenant.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I will send you the list of things I run through with tenants prior to signing the lease and, if you need it, the Rent Allowance waiver.

Back