Rent trebled in five years

S

skydancer

a rent review now due. The landlord now wants to treble our Rent which we simply cant afford. We have 30 years left on a 35 year lease. Are leases worth much, I feel the landlord would be delighted to get his lease back as we are in the city and a shorter lease would suit him better. His he entitled to do this.

skydancer said:
a rent review now due. The landlord now wants to treble our Rent which we simply cant afford. We have 30 years left on a 35 year lease. Are leases worth much, I feel the landlord would be delighted to get his lease back as we are in the city and a shorter lease would suit him better. His he entitled to do this.

Lease can be valuable particularly depending on where property is. Contact PRTB re rent increase. Think you have a case if he's trying to treble rent in one go.

Is this business rent or residential rent? If it is residential then the PRTB applies, if it is business then I'm not so sure.

Anyway, if it is residential then he can only raise it to the market rate. Also the notice period increases with time, 30 days for first year, 45 days for second year (or something like that). If you have been there 30 years I would say you have a substantial notice period saved up (assuming the law applies to rents prior to 2004).

again check out PRTB.ie for more details.

Have been there 15 years.It is a business in Kilkenny city

Whenever I have to deal with a client I don't really want to work with I double or treble the price.
It's probably his way of letting you know he doesn't want you there anymore, he might not be able to turf you out be he can make it hard for you to stay. You should talk to your solicitor.

A rent increase has to be reasonable and in line with other properties in the area otherwise a lease would be worthless. I doubt if rents have trebled in Kilkenny in the past 5 years so you can dispute this

skydancer said:
Have been there 15 years.It is a business in Kilkenny city

Any comerial lease I have seen covers the procedure for rent increase .... it should never just be what ever we want....

what exactly does the lease say ?

Back