Rent Tax Credit - Illegally Claiming Tax Credit by tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dermot

I was talking to a few people recently who said they had become aware of tenants who were giving out their Landlords relevant details to other people to use in claiming the Rental Tax Credit. The Landlord would not be aware of this. I do not know how prevalent this is but from what I was told it is not totally uncommon.

I was talking to a few people recently who said they had become aware of tenants who were giving out their Landlords relevant details to other people to use in claiming the Rental Tax Credit. The Landlord would not be aware of this. I do not know how prevalent this is but from what I was told it is not totally uncommon.
It certainly seems very easy to claim. Are most of the relevant details not publicly available on the RTB site ?

Its a joke so. My tenants sent me a copy of the form which requested the PPS which I supplied to them plus other details. So landlords could get a letter from Revenue claiming that they have more tenants than you actually have.

Its a joke so. My tenants sent me a copy of the form which requested the PPS which I supplied to them plus other details. So landlords could get a letter from Revenue claiming that they have more tenants than you actually have.
Or you could have none at all.

From what I can see all you need to supply is name address & eircode, they ask for the LPT reference but it doesn't appear to be mandatory.

I may be cynical, but from what I can see it's a ploy to smoke out any rent-a-room owners who are getting more than 14k per annum.

Have any landlords renting rooms actually received any letters ? I’d imagine chasing down rent a room landlords earning over €14k pa would require a lot of administration.

That doesn't make sense? There's never been a proposal to remove rent-a-room?
My comment was in relation to the Rent Tax Credit which this thread is discussing.

And don't kid yourself, they'll scrap or water down the Rent a Room exemption too whenever they get a chance.

Not when there’s an accommodation crisis. But it’s not right that rent a room landlords get it while those offering houses and apts don’t. Whatever the amount it should be given to both types of landlords.

Not when there’s an accommodation crisis. But it’s not right that rent a room landlords get it while those offering houses and apts don’t. Whatever the amount it should be given to both types of landlords.
'Rent a room landlord' is that a new category of landlord. I thought that was only available to PPR owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back