Rent Supplement

T

Tarry Flynn

Okay, becoming more muddled and confused with every new web page read.

I just moved back here from North America after being away for many years. Was employed full time up until the end of May. After satisfying habitual residency clauses I have received Jobseekers benefits thank God.

So now I am trying to figure out rent. I hade been staying with parents but that was impossible. Since then essentially squatting at a friends house which simply cannot do either.

My first question. Do I essentially have to go rent a property so I have a landlord with which to pursue the supplement? Do I need use my very meagre very stretched savings to do this and then simply pray the supplement fairy leaves something under my pillow before I end up unable to pay my lease and my landlord sues? I am fairly confident of getting the supplement but.....does anyone have any pointers to make sure I am renting a property that is suitable?

Im in Cavan, but I was told that I can only rent a property if it adheres to certain guidelines, specifically the rental price must be below the max eligible for Cavan. In my case that would be I believe €85 per week.

I have found a property I want to rent, but.....it is outside the town in a rural area, and it is renting at €400 a month.

Will either or both of these factors mean I am refused the supplement?

Am I better off biting the bullet signing and paying on a short term lease and trying to get the supplement after the fact?

Thank you any and all that can give me any pointers at all.

cat101, I think there can be exceptions to the rule there from seeing a few friends get rent allowance...
tarry - i would go see a relieving officer and tell them you simply have no where to live etc and keep going until they help you. They will if you keep going to see them.

Thx you two.... I understand the six month thing, but I feel virtually homeless. Totally understand beggars cant be choosers n all, but quite frankly I dont want to end up stuck in town where there is all the trappings and temptations to veer off towards the beaten track if ye know what I mean.

Want to be back in school full time ASAP if no jobs come calling.

Its hard to fit the mold of the six month rule when not paying rent currently. Its understand the need for assessment but will that pigeon hole my choice of where to live to the point where I am going from one negative place to another.

PS Whats a relieving officer, and how do I find one? If that is the person in the health office...mine is quite frankly not too great and seems very unsympathetic and too bureaucratic. Dop I have to visit the one in my town to achieve stuff or can I go anywhere in Cavan?

Thanks again

Back